Glass negative holder

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Kevin Kehler, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Fujimoto G70 which I enjoy using for my enlarging; however, the negative holders are non-glass. As in, they flip open, you place the negative in the open space, flip close using the metal edge to hold the negative in place and insert. This is not normally a problem with 35mm negatives but yesterday I was having serious problems getting a 6x7 negative flat. I could get some of the negative in focus but not all and the problem increased as the lamp warmed up and the negative began to buckle.

Can I just buy some small pieces of glass to sandwich the negative and then insert into my current holders or do I need to purchase new holders? The Fujimoto was never exceptionally popular and holders are hard to come by. I have tried using Omega holders but with very limited success. The biggest problem is the holder slot is square and using a round holder does not allow me to fully insert into the space in order to cover the larger negatives.

2. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is the present negative holders made of metal or plastic? Did another brand, like Omega worked to keep the negative flat?

As far as glass, did Fujimoto G70 make a set in glass? I am wondering if there is enough space for a thicker sandwich in the Fujimoto G70.

3. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could you cut a couple of pieces of glass to fit and use the sandwich in place of the carrier?

4. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm not familiar with the Fujimoto, but could you remove the top of the Fujimoto carrier and substitute a piece of glass? The single top glass should keep the negative flat.

Another option would be to obtain a glass carrier from a Beseler (or other brand), and then modify the metal part to fit the Fujimoto.

5. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The current negative holder is made of metal (aluminium by the weight) with slight raised edges around the opening in order to more firmly hold the negative via contact pressure. I think if I filed the raised edges off, there would be sufficient room to put a least 1 piece of glass (high side, towards light) and still fit in the holder. I also have a brother who is a custom fabricator who might be able to build something.

This raises another interesting question: on some higher end scanners, a fluid is added in order to help hold the negative flatter and increase resolution. Could you do the same thing on an enlarger, add some fluid to aid in flatness? My immediate concern is uneven coating giving distortion and heat from the bulb "cooking" the negative to the glass which would result in the negative burning onto the glass and ripping when removing. Still it should be the same principle (I know the Hasselblad scanners use it).

6. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love my enlarger but this is been my constant problem with it, no one is familar with it and there is no such thing as parts or accessories to be had.

7. Rich Ullsmith

Rich Ullsmith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is not much you can't accomplish with some high quality black matboard and a very sharp knife.

Seems I remember when I had a condenser enlarger, there was a heat absorbing glass disc under the lamp. I don't know if your enlarger has a slot for this.

8. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used both lighter fluild and mineral oil on negatives without problem.

9. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    How do you clean you negatives afterward? Photoflow and water?

10. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Scanning fluid in a negative carrier would be messy. On the enlarger you're dealing with a lens that can, and should, be stopped down several stops to it's optimum aperture, which would provide ample depth of field for the negative.

11. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could we see a picture?
    I made a perfectly functional glass carrier for my kids Minolta enlarger from two spare pieces of 4x5 carrier glass and some tape.

12. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about cobbling together a negative carrier out of matboard and use glass for the top. Use the existing carrier as a template. This way, you dont cut up the existing carrier and have it as a spare(insurance)

Rick

13. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I cleaned the negatives with acetone. Anything with water in it is instant disaster.

14. Kevin Kehler

Kevin Kehler Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As requested, a couple of pictures - one of the enlarger with the tray in, tray out, holder closed, holder open. Note the fancy foam to stop light leaks and no it is not a coat hanger under the enlarger, it's the multi-grade filter holding device.:D

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 2, 2010