glassless neg carrier ok?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Craig Swensson, Oct 5, 2009.

1. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    i`m looking at a replacement enlarger and the sellor informs me that the glass is missing from neg carrier, i`m certain that i have read another thread here on this subject so i am just after confirmation that i can use without glass on 6x6 and rig up a system to keep the negs tight and level. Meopta with adjustable 35/6x6 carrier, thanks

2. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have used a 35mm, 6x6 and 6x7 neg carrier without glass on many occasions - the mask itself has held the neg flat and I have had no problems with focus using glassless carriers.

3. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    thanks oz, thats all the confirmation i need, regards

4. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Depends on design of the carrier. Most that are made for glass can not be properly used if it is missing. Glass is just not fitted to a glassless carrier unless it is homemade like I have done for 35mm on 4x5 Omegas.

A glassless carrier is just two pieces of metal with a hole for the neg. It holds the neg flat, but not perfectly flat. The neg can move with heat build up spoiling focus perhaps in the middle of making a print.

The type of enlarger & neg carrier would help you get a CORRECT answer.

5. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I agree with Ron - check it to be sure that it can be used without the glass first...

- Randy

6. Craig Swensson

Craig Swensson Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The type of enlarger & neg carrier would help you get a CORRECT answer

Meopta 6 with adjustable 35/6x6 carrier, the guy that owns it ONLY thinks that glass is missing. Even if glass required not a big deal as i can always find someone to make one up [ yep i know it needs to be anti newton glass] also Australia has meopta distributer and i believe parts for meopta are a whole lot easier to get than for durst/lpl.