Glassplate holder to sheet film

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Eugen Mezei, Sep 27, 2013.

1. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've bought 3 holders for my 6.5x9 cm Avus. They are for glass plates and one of them has a plate in it. (Too bad I didn't know about, took it out in light.)
    I know adapters exist to use these holders with sheet film. Never seen such an adapter in flesh, so maybe my next question is silly.

Would it work if I get the existing plate to a glass shop and let them cut two other such glass plates from glass of the same thicknes? I could, I hope so, fit the film above this plate in the holder.

2. ntenny

ntenny Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that would work. At 6.5x9, it may also actually be possible to use a sheet of film directly without a septum, letting the springy bits that apply pressure to the plate hold the film in place. The film might be rigid enough to support itself in a flat condition.

The glass doesn't actually need to be of precise thickness; those springs and the front lip of the holder should hold its front surface in the right place. However, you'll need to figure out how to make sure the film stays in place on the surface of the glass.

-NT

3. jcoldslabs

jcoldslabs Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    They do exist. These photos are from a current Eb@y auction (261275781372).

6x9 Film Sheath.JPG

6x9 Film Sheath2.JPG

Jonathan

4. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can in the mean time adhere a piece of film to the plate with some water soluble sticky stuff. I've used a tiny dab of honey. Work on getting some film sheaths.

5. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You may struggle to find anyone that stocks glass that thin. I have a vintage plate camera and the holders have been "adapted" to use sheet film. The adaptor is nothing more than a sheet of melamine type material painted matt black on one side.

6. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    BTW an interesting trick I recently discovered in a film holder I got off the auction site. Inside was an overexposed negative of a WWII soldier with a smaller format of sheet film held in place by 4 little slits in the negative. The larger sheet as a sort of album page. A slit in each corner alla photo corners to tuck the corners of the smaller film into. A clever work around if you run short of the right format of film.

7. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How did they cut the slits in the glass negative?

8. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    You could also use stiff cardboard instead of glass. If not off the right color, use a sheet of black paper as well.

9. snederhiser

snederhiser Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I have made up my own film sheaths using thin aluminum (0.15 inch). I turned the sides with tinners pliers, against a steel plate. Then inserted a thin sheet metal plate, the size of the negative and finished bending over the sides. The completed sheaths were painted flat black and worked fine. Perhaps a solution for you, Steven.

10. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Thornton Pickard half plate camera that I used with sheet film and the original wooden dark slides. The spacer was made from mounting board sized (sealed) with cellulose lacquer to stop any dust. The thickness of the spacer only becomes critical if you are using a very fast lens, but they are very rare in LF. I mostly used f/64 anyway so they were always sharp.

Steve

11. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The negative was a film neg not glass.

12. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've seen that before in 'old bits in a box' that I couldn't identify, the film adapter (for smaller film) looked like a professional job as I recall as there was a name on it (what I can't remember).

Steve

13. GregW

GregW Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Here is a terrible flatbed document scan of the "adapter" . steve, that's interesting that someone marketed something as simple as this. I went ahead and inverted the scan and darkened it so you can see the old image on it.
    filmadapter.jpg filmadaptertwo.jpg