Glennview.com reference request

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by jp80874, May 12, 2005.

1. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am thinking of buying some darkroom equipment from Glenn Evans of Glennview.com in the Chicago area. Can anyone in our group give a reference, good or bad? This form can protect its members from bad business practices. I would appreciate the help.

Thanks,

John Powers

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I know is the prices seem quite steep. He has/had some part I wouldn't have minded for my enlarger but the cost would have made it cheaper to buy a whole brand new enlarger.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i bought a recommar ( 35mm kodachrome) back from him, and he made a graflok "plate" so i could use it on a 4x5 camera of my choice. while it did cost quite a bit of money, it didn't really matter because i have only seen one or 2 that exist, and neither had a plate ( with light trap-bead ). when i sold it, i got more than i paid for it ( FEEbay :smile: )

i never had a problem - he knows the things he sells ( unlike FEEbayers who say " a friend gave this to me to sell, and he found it in his attic, i don't know what it is, or how to operate it, but it seems to work fine " )

- - john

4. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Thank you John and Nick and the several who have PMed me. If anyone else has thoughts on this, but feels uncomfortable putting them on the Form, please send a PM.
    I will respect your privacy. I am only trying to avoid being taken for a ride.

I realize his prices seem high, but I have been looking five months for an 8x10 enlarger for B&W that will fit under a seven foot ceiling and be possible to move down stairs into a basement. All the cheap, working ones don't seem to have my phone number.

Thanks,

John Powers

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    IIRC a couple of months ago an Elwood 8x10 table top enlarger went on Ebay for about $150. The seller does a lot of photographic surplus. If it wasn't for the shipping from LA to Canada I would have bid on the thing.

6. JG Motamedi

JG Motamedi Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have traded photographic goods with Glenn a number times. He has always been honest and courteous, and his machine-work is first rate. That said, his prices are frequently (but not always) very high.

7. andrewfrith

andrewfrith Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Glenn has always been very professional and knowledgeable whenever i have had questions regarding his stuff online...i was once thinking about getting a modified tripod head made by him and he sent me jpgs of many ideas and options. He did the same thing for me when i had a question about a custom film regsitration gizmo i wanted to get made. His prices are a little on the steep side but in many cases he's the only one around with the item in question. He is a speedy and good communicator over email too.