Glo in the dark timer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Davesw, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Davesw

Davesw Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I HAVE AN INLARGER TIMER WITH A GLO IN THE DARK FACE. WHAT SHOULD I DO WHEN LOADING AND DEVELOPING FILM? IT DOES REPRESENT VISIBLE LIGHT AFTER ALL.

2. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    First, please turn off your caps lock. All-caps is considered shouting.

Second, chances are the amount of light from a glow-in-the-dark face on a timer wouldn't cause problems for paper unless you get the paper very close to the timer. For added safety, try to position the equipment such that the timer's face doesn't point directly at any point where your paper will be. For instance, you might raise the timer a foot or two above the level of the enlarger, and position the timer so that paper never directly crosses its path, to minimize exposure when you're putting the paper on the easel.

FWIW, I've got a Philips PCS130 enlarger with a PCS150 light source. The PCS150's control box has four lighted dials. This isn't just glow-in-the-dark stuff; the dials actually have low-wattage bulbs under them. When I first got the thing, I was concerned that they'd cause problems, but I've noticed no fogging because of these dials. My PCS150 is placed about a foot to the right and above the enlarger's baseboard, and my paper safe is to the left of the enlarger, so the dials don't shine directly on the paper at any point. This seems to be sufficient protection. Although I've not done safelight tests on the dials themselves, I have done safelight tests for my overall level of darkroom lighting, with the PCS150 turned on, and I've found no problems. If the lighted dials of my PCS150 don't cause fog, I doubt if a glow-in-the-dark dial would.

3. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    He asked about film, not paper.

4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just cover the face with a piece of cloth or black paper etc - it is quite possibly not a problem at a few yards/metres away, but better safe than sorry.

Cheers, Bob.

5. Rolleiflexible

Rolleiflexible Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a different but similar question:

How about a luminous watch (e.g. Luminox diver's watch) in a changing bag with film?

I always take it off, and always wonder if I'm being smart or stupid when I do.

RFXB

6. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never seen any sign of film fogging with a Gralab timer about three feet away. Even with 400 speed film
    juan

7. Cor

Cor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I seem to remember a recent thread were somebody his films were strangely fogged by his watch...check the archives (if you know how search well..;-)..)

Best,

Cor

8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've experienced no film fogging from my Gralab timer which is wall mounted about 4 feet away from where I handle raw film. I still cover the face though, because it makes me feel more comfortable. I have seen a luminous wrist watch fog film, so removing the watch is the smart move.

9. Harrigan

Harrigan Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I cover mine with a towel when loading film, however this is probably not even necessary. What I always forget about is the glow in the dark ring on my fujinon ex enlarger lens. After loading up some film I always notice it glowing away at me but its never had any effect at about 2 feet away.

10. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    glow in the dark

I covered my timeOlite which definitely caused film fog at 3 feet.

11. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Dark is dark. If you're loading with visible light present, it's something that you are getting away with, not recommended practice. Base fog levels can affect the brilliance of your prints. One might not notice, but you might, if you had something to compare it too. Just my two cents. We work so hard at everything, why take a chance over a no brainer, no effort thing?

12. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    If you are loading film, I wouldn't see any need to have a timer switched on. To be on the safe side, I'd simply switch off any equipment lights for the duration of the loading and certainly wouldn't wear a luminous watch which by definition is on your wrist and close to the hand loading the film.

Finally some people use glow in the dark tape around the darkroom and while this is unlikely to fog film if a few feet away and not directly shining on it, I'd certainly try and use a space in the darkroom where the glow tape can be at least screened from the film by your body.

pentaxuser

13. Davesw

Davesw Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks all

A lot of practical data saying not a problem but I still think I will error on the side of caution in the form of some kind of cover.

14. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe that. The Time-O-Lite's glow is one heck of a lot brighter than the "so dim you can barely see it" glow of the GraLab. And JBrunner is right. Dark is dark. If you can get away with it, so much the better. Why take the chance?