Glue for mixing box walls?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jeff Bannow, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a mixing box where the walls are bowing in a bit, and obscuring part of the negative. The outer walls are metal and the inner walls are almost some type of mat board or something similar.

I assume that the mixing box can get decently warm in use. Can anyone recommend a glue to use to attach it to the outer box wall? Something that can take the heat and can be removed later when needed would be nice.

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I 'stick' (pardon the pun) to natural rubber glues, that are straight forward to remove with common organic solvents.

3M ATG line of tapes are double sided and very handy for tight spaces. Align the two areas, and then pull the release liner, and press into place. Can be handled (with care) without the tape dispensing gun they are designed to work with.

3M 777 is a spray adhesive that is useful to stick almost anything together. Comes with a 1" wide spray, and a 3" wide spray tip.

3. Ian C

Ian C Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Most mixing boxes use a liner of relatively thin sheets of Styrofoam. They’re usually secured with dabs of rubber cement. Liner kits are available for the Omega dichro heads. The HA filter should remove enough heat to prevent damage to the liner and adhesive holding it to the walls.

You might make replacement liner panels of foam core mounting material.

For example, here’s KHB’s listing for the liner kit for the Omega D head. Note that it includes a new bottom diffuser. You might also ask KHB about the adhesive it recommends.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Liner-Kit-Omega...779?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item1e6532205b

4. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd use silicone glue for that.

5. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone.