Glutaraldehyde

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Leon, Oct 15, 2004.

1. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    this is a chemical used in x-ray emulsions and developers, but this article http://www.ncchem.com/snftaas/crying_in_the_dark.htm mentions that kodak and agfa use it in "all their developers", although it is unclear whether this is specifically in the x-ray development process.

Does anyone know of this chemical and whether it is used in photographic chems? If so, it may be the cause of my continuing throat problems (ventilation hasnt solved the prob).

2. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Check this out www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/iacl64x.pdf

Gluteraldehyde is used as a cold sterilant in hospitals. I believe at one time it was used as a grain preservative in bulk storage bins.

3. Jordan

Jordan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glutaraldehyde is a cross-linker and would be used as a film hardener and stabilizer. I've never seen it used in a conventional B&W developer though for processes that run "hot" it may be included... like in the X-ray process mentioned in your link. What are the other chemicals you are using in your process (stop bath, fixer?) Could one of them be a source of your throat irritation?

4. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    FWIW, Glutaraldehyde is being used to harden gelatin sized water color paper for use in gum bichromate printing. It has been conjectured that it is a better hardener than other chemicals such as glyoxal and formaldehyde for gum printing.

Don Bryant

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you use an acid stop bath? Acids are the biggest casue of throat irritations. When I took Chem classes, even the acids that were not denoted as needing to be handled under the chem hood, would cause all of us in the lab to have sore throats. You could use just a plain water stop bath and see if that helps.

6. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Aldehydes are used in most lith developers, and some developer hardeners. Glutaraldehyde is a lot safer than the alternative - formaline.

There are lith developers without aldehydes, but I don't know what's in commercial mixes. But since it is a liquid, anything from dry powder should be safe :wink:

7. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    thanks everyone. I was using a very smelly alkaline fix and thought that might be the problem. Have switched back to hypam now but still having trouble. I use a very mild stop - and was using a water rinse as a stop when the problem started so I dont think it can be that. the only constant is agfa Neutol WA. I have some Bromophen to mix up so will try that to see is that makes a difference.

8. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keep experimenting, and keep us informed. Good luck.
    BTW Metol is the element that I have to keep away from.

9. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife says the stuff is used in the operating room and is a disinfectant and is very corrosive, and will dissolve rubber. Rough stuff.