glycine in tea or freezer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by bogeyes, Jul 21, 2007.

1. bogeyes

bogeyes Member

I will be wanting to store some glycin, I have read on apug that glycin can be kept in bags with the air removed (in the freezer), or it can be dissolved in tea. What amount of glycine will dissolve in 1 litre of tea (triethanolamine)? What ph does a liquid have to be before glycin will dissolve in it? What amount of glycin will dissolve in a 50/50 mix of tea and propolene glycol? Bugger why did I spell glycin with an e on the end in the header?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  2. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Note also that glycin is fairly stable once diluted in water, more so than when exposed to air.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glycin is a developing agent, glycine is an essential amino acid and not related directly to glycin.

I just wanted to make that clear. You can eat glycine with little harm, but glycin can kill you! I hate to pick nits, but in this case, clarity is essential in view of the topic.

Sorry.

PE

4. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glycin solubility in Triethanolamine

Bogeyes, I had no luck dissolving Glycin in Propylene Glycol.

However, I found that I could dissolve 22 grams of Glycin in 200ml of Triethanolamine (this indicates that you should be able to dissolve around 100 grams of Glycin in a liter of Triethanolamine).

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/15664-how-slow-powdered-glycin-deterioration.html

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 21, 2007
  5. bogeyes

bogeyes Member

Thanks for that Tom, any thoughts on how long glycin will remain stable in TEA

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2007
  6. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have stored glycin in my freezer for about two and a half years and it remained active. I kept it in the original plastic bottle from PF, enclosed in a freezer bag. I know the glycin remained active because I made up a glycin only developer and developed negatives in it.

7. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I mixed the stock concentrate in August of 2005 and it was still fully active in December 2006. I'll check it again during the coming week.