God shoots Hasselblad with the latest lens?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Ryuji, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://tinyurl.com/yf4g75

New Zeiss ZV-Classic lenses for Hasselblad:

Distagon T* 4/50 ZV
    Makro-Planar T* 4/120 ZM
    Sonnar T* 4/180 ZM

They are made by Cosina.

2. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heard about them - that is fantastic, but I hadn't heard they were being made by Cosina (and if so, so what. I have a Zeiss Ikon rangefinder that is absolutely stellar!)

3. Buster6X6

Buster6X6 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great, how safe is my first born if I want to buy one?

Greg

4. celluloidpropaganda

celluloidpropaganda Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I expected them to be reasonably priced (if the Cosina connection is real), but...

ZEISS ZV Classic lenses have been designed for use with all Hasselblad cameras in what is now called the V system, built since 1957. They can be used for both analog and digital photography. ZEISS ZV Classic lenses contain no electronics whatsoever. They can therefore be used for many years without losing their value.

The line of ZV Classic lenses comprises:
    1. the classic wide-angle Distagon T-- 4/50 ZV,
    2. the classic macro lens Makro-Planar T--4/120 ZV and
    3. the high-performance tele lens Sonnar T-- 4/180 ZV.

First deliveries scheduled for: 1st quarter of 2007
    List prices (incl. VAT) will be: presumably EUR 3,500.00 or $4,300 USD

5. ineffablething

ineffablething Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    How do they differ from my Rollei SL66 HFT lenses that paid, at most, 500 bucks for?

W.

6. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A lot of bulls**t now days if you ask me :D
    Value for many years depends if people decide to continue using V system cameras for many years. I mean what happen to the C system... there was not any electronics in them...

7. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I think you'll find that the 'V' system IS the 'C' system -- shuttered lenses for 'real' Hasselblads.

Cheers,

R.

8. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    These are apparently "vanity" lenses. I can get Excellent++ used original CZ lenses at KEH (as one example) for about a third of the price.

Nice stuff for wealthy gearheads who like to fondle their lenses and brag with each other about how much they cost.

9. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is one explanation and the most likely, but also I was thinking that some pro or semi-photographers might want a new lens, and this would offer an alternative.

Though it rather depends upon the price, though my wife was eyeing the 50mm Distagon.

10. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looking at the prizes (and quality) of the Cosina-made CZ lenses for Nikon and Leica, I think these will be anything but cheap.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006
  11. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 1981 I bought a brand new (black) 50mm ZEISS Distagon T* for my Hassleblad 501 CM. It is a very nice lens that cost a lot of money.

In 1999 I bought a brand new multi-coated 60mm Schneider Curtagon in Exacta 66/Pentacon 6 mount from a German dealer for less than $500 USD delivered to me in the USA I shoot it on my Pentacon 6TL (with MLU) and my MLU Arax 88 CM.

The on-film performance (color and B&W film) of my 60mm Schneider lens is at least the equivalent of my 50mm Hassleblad/Zeiss lens.

The 80mm Zeiss lenses that I have used on Rollei 66 cameras have demonstrated fully equivalent performance to their Hassleblad mounted siblings.

The 50mm T* Zeiss Distagon is a fine lens and if I were in the market for one, I'd get a used one from KEH.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2006
  12. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps that was a 500CM, Tom?? 501CM = 1997-2005. :smile:

13. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does this mean that since I have only C lenses made in the 70's for my Hasselblad that I no longer have mega bling? That I should hang my head in shame when others observe me making photographs at or near -282? I'll ever be able to photograph in public in Vegas either? I feel shame.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If God has an eternity for his photography, wouldn't he use LF?

16. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ULF or the ultimate resolution -- REALITY! :D

17. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I goofed, of course it's a 500 CM.

18. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    To be honest, I`m not even a bit excited with this Zeiss offer, they look nice for sure, but I question the real advantages over existing series (besides the C`s) of Zeiss/Hasselblad optics.
    I use CF`s and love the black and rugged construction of the series, the shutter is reliable and optically they are just fantastic, what else one needs then?
    I see this proposal from Zeiss more as a prestige manouver and mainly with the collector`s market as target.
    With so many functional and fantastic CF´s, CFI`s, CFE`s in the used market, who`s (maybe besides a collector or rich individual) paying premium for an external face-lift?

When I`m finally ready to buy my Distagon 50mm, I will be searching for the good, old, reliable black CF series.

Those yes, a real "Classic"!:D

Cheers

André

19. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just feel happy for Cosina, a once humble manufacturer of cheap and cheerfuls and just look at them now. They found a niche and jumped in with both size 10's. They supported traditional photography when all seemed bleak, so they deserve all the success that they have.

20. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I try to buy new whenever I can since it will tend to support the manufacturer, and there are usually fewer problems when buying sight unseen (where I live this is the only option without an expensive trip to NYC).

Hasselblad I usually can't afford to buy new, even these new lenses (though I have no idea how expensive it is, I can guess!).

I am not in a hurry to buy the Distagon, since we don't have the money saved up for it yet (even used), and we would have other priorities.

Also, anyone know the prices for the lenses?

21. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You bet! I think it is fantastic that Cosina's camera making is going really well. They way I understand it, they are growing, too!

(I even think they make parts for D^&*(%^&L cameras.)

22. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree. Who else still actively develops and manufactures film cameras that I want to buy, besides Cosina and Fujifilm? (Ok, toy and LF/ULF are in different leagues.)

I think in some sense they can get more camera and optics engineers if they want, since there are lots of engineers who are just too old for digital camera manufacturers.

23. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As long as Hasselblad doesn't discontinue all the other CFi/CFE lenses and keep only these for the "classic" V system... Not that I really care, I have four lenses and don't need any more.

24. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not concerned where Zeiss has their lenses made but where is it indicated that these lenses are made by Cosina?

25. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    perhaps zeiss just came across a bunch of old stock in a warehouse and stamped "Classic" on em?

I have a growing resentment for collectors that drive up prices of camera equipment. I want to buy this stuff to actually use, not fondle all night. why can't they just collect stamps or something?

26. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Where is it indicated that these lenses are made by Cosina?

I rather doubt that they are because the mtf charts are unchanged. I think that it is merely remounted elements.