Going JOBO

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Rolleijoe, Aug 18, 2005.

1. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi, I'm finally taking the plunge and going with JOBO after more than 20+ years using Patterson. I understand that I'll be using MUCH less chemistry, but how do I figure out how much of what I'll be using? Any & all help appreciated!

Thanks,

Rolleijoe

2. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I process in the 2500 series tanks, and use 170ml for each 35mmm roll, and 210ml for each 120. Thats with the 2553 and 2563 tanks, but I think it would also work with the smaller 2 reel tanks.

For times, start with about 10% less, and adjust.

3. C Rose

C Rose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The chemistry amount should be listed on the selected JOBO tank you are using.... for the format of film you are processing. Are you going constant agitation? I process in varying JOBO's with constant agitation and have been very happy with results thus far. So little chem. needed at high dilution, nice..... HC110 at 1:50ml

Good luck
    Cynthia

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2005
  4. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Also bear in mind that if you are switching to continuous rotary agitation, your development times will need to be adjusted downwards. Ilford suggest 15% as a starter. Jobo manuals for drum systems still online (for now...) at Jobo-USA (http://www.jobo-usa.com/support.htm#Instruction Manuals).

Cheers, Bob.

5. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

Pay attention to the mimimum chemistry to get the job done. With dilute developers and low volume, there may be insufficient chemical.

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They only use less chemicals if you rotate the tank. The 2500 tanks use alot of chemicals if you try inversion.

7. Mark Layne

Mark Layne Member

For 35 and 120 I went to back to Patterson tanks.
    I did not like the lack of acutance I found with constant agitation.
    Doesn't seem to matter as much with larger film
    Mark

8. Rolleijoe

Rolleijoe Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    HC-110 @ 1:50

Hi Cynthia, thanks for the information. I haven't received the equipment yet (buying from a gentleman selling off his entire darkroom, which seems now to be mine). I had thought that the reason for JOBO was constant agitation? I guess there's going to be a long learning curve in sight!

I also use HC-110 @1:50. But if I mix up that much, won't I be wasting so much of it if I'm only using mL?? I always use it as 1 shot, so maybe I should wait until I have enougn to use all 50oz? But that would take forever.

I'm shooting mostly 120 Rolleiflex, and occasional 4x5. I know I'll have to do some experimenting, as I go along. Thanks again.

9. Wally H

Wally H Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    The correct amount of chemical "may" not be what is listed on the JOBO tank(s)... some developers work better when more chemical is used (such as some diluted ones)... I use a developer that suggests that 500ml be used per roll... If you "DO" go that route (larger amounts) be aware that some JOBO tanks do not hold that much developer... In my case, I use a larger tank with empty reels when I only have one roll to process...

10. C Rose

C Rose Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Rolliejoe
    I use ml dilution 1:50 so I only mix up what i'm use each time as well. As far as not having enough chem in the tank I have not yet run into that problem as Wally states above. I am aware that it may be a concern.... but for now it has not been a problem.
    I've been mostly processing med. format tri-x. but I'm experimenting with Efke now
    BTW love the HC110

-Cynthia

11. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You may not know if you are using the optimal amount of chemistry - and rotational speed (for continuous rotary processing) unless you do controlled comparitive testing.

My Jobo system has been sitting unused (for about 5 years now). I process all my B&W film (35mm thru 8x10 sheet) in tubes, tanks and trays using minimal and semi-stand agitation.

I'll go back to the Jobo if I start processing color again.

12. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It really is very expensive to try to save money on chemistry by using too little - I use the Jobo 2500 series for 4x5 and multiple rolls of 120. I use it for hand inversion and it takes 1.25L to completely cover the sheet film. Using PMK, Pyrocat or most other one shot developers, this is not expensive compared to ruining the film with over tired developer or with uneven staining. Same with fixer - better more than less.

13. Frank F

Frank F Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Some users get a hypodermic like device to measure small volumes of HC110.

Or get a .. now I forget the name of the thing..... a really small graduated tube that requires suction ( a small rubber bulb) to get the chemical up there and measured. They cost around $1, and are reuseable....they meaure in quantities of 1-10mL.

14. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pipette.
    There are two types. The one I have is 10mL and you fill it to 10 and release to the amount you want. It is graduated from 0 to 10 down. There is another type that works in the opposite - you fill TO the amount you want. 1 -10 UP.

If you buy the mechanical pump kind you are speaking of BIG bucks. Mine is a plastic pipette with bulb and cost under $10. I just don't remember where I bought it.