Going out of business

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows' started by Domenico Foschi, May 12, 2010.

1. Domenico Foschi

Domenico Foschi Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am not sure if this is the right area in which to place this thread, so to the moderators, feel free to move it or do whatever you think is right with it.

I am announcing my pulling out from the market and my returning back to Italy.
    It has been a great ride and I want to thank all the supporters of my work in this forum.
    The poor sales of the first part of 2010 have been a loud message that it was time for a change in my life.
    I am selling all my inventory from $ 75.00 to $ 150.00 in order to prepare for my next journey.
    I have also written an article in my blog incorporated in my website. Feel free to visit.
    Again thank you all for the great support given through these years, it has helped in many ways.

Domenico Foschi

2. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am really sorry to read that Domenico.
    I hope you have better luck in Italy.

Truth be told, I would have liked to know more about the whole situation, as to learn from your troubles.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domenico

If a guy with your talents cannot make a living in photography, then who can? Very sad.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    domenico:

i am sad to hear you are leaving the area, but at the same
    time i am happy to know you are going back "home with your camera/s"

i look forward to the images from the next stop on your journey !

be well

john

5. Sim2

Sim2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hallo,
    Although I do not know you I am sorry to hear of your troubles. I have just seen your website pictures and am saddened that there is not a viable market for your images at the moment. Perhaps as you hint, the US market is not currently "in tune" with your vision.

Whilst I have no experience of the US art market scene - so feel free to ignore this - perhaps going out of business could be rephrased?
    People (companies/institutions) change all the time; restructuring, relocating, repositioning in the market etc. Rather than "closing down" could this not be "spun" or presented as a relocation for personal reasons/artistic endeavour (whatever) - at least on the website. Could you keep one good (perhaps your best/favourite) gallery in the US? This would keep you with a physical prescence in the US market, that may sell some of your work or at least keep it visible to potential US buyers and perhaps a place people could be directed to physically view your work? They might/should/could be willing to work internationally with someone - work can be physically sent by courier etc (and returned) for not that much cost.

Perhaps gallery representation could be found in Italy/Europe on your return, then you might have a presence in two continents.

I suppose that there might not be a viable market for your work anywhere but you currently have something that a lot of people would work really hard for - gallery representation. I think that your physical location (i.e. moving back to Italy) should have little bearing in continuing that representation - providing you feel that you want to contine to support/promote your work in that territory.

Just my thoughts. Whatever you do, I wish you all the best & I hope you will be continuing to photograph whereever you reside.

Sim2.

6. mike c

mike c Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is bad for me you are leaving Domenico, went to the Elias Gallery and saw the street photo's you have been working on,they are very good like to see more in the future.

7. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry to read this, Domenico. Please don't be discouraged, the market comes and the market goes. I suppose there will eventually be a recovery of the market for art, but... yep, these are tough times.

What about teaching for a while?

Best wishes for the future.

8. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domenico. I wish you luck in your next phase of your life. Your work is beautiful you're a great artist.

Best,
    Don

9. adamc

adamc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domenico,
    I still remember seeing the photographs on your website for the first time, it inspired my attempt in taking my photography in a different direction. So sorry to hear business isn't well for you. Hopefully your APUG presence remain and website will stay up for us to enjoy.

Best of luck to you going forward.
    Adam

10. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate to hear this. You did good work. I hope for the best for you.

Jeff

11. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Domenico, I am very sad to hear this news.

Hopefully you will find a way to continue photographing; your photographs are beautiful and a testament to your passion for the craft and art. Please don't let photography be only a business endeavor for you; continue to share your gift with the world, even on a small scale. You are such an inspiration to photographers all over.

- Thomas

12. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domenico - I am so sad to hear this. Your work is utterly spectacular and I will miss you, your art and your divine sense of humour.

Good luck with your venture in Italy and I wish you all the best. Take care, my friend.

-V

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ciao

Steve

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domenico, as a long time admirer sad to hear this. However, you must do what is best for you and I wish you only the best and hope to keep up with your work from your website and blog.

Best Wishes,

16. Guillaume Zuili

Guillaume Zuili Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very sorry to read this Domenico. It has been a very tuff couple of years. Hold on wherever you feel is the best for you. Don't give up.
    Take care,
    G.

17. rorye

rorye Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I can only echo what everyone else has said. I wish you the very best.

18. Shadowtracker

Shadowtracker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never Surrender Domenico.

You may have to change your source of income, but you don't have to change your approach/philosophy toward your art.

Best wishes in your new ventures.

19. Hugo Zhang

Hugo Zhang Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dear Domenico,

As a long time friend and admirer of yours, I want to say this to you: you will never simply leave us, as not only you have left us those enchanting images, but also we have learned how to look at things through your eyes.

I will add VISITING DOMENICO IN ITALY to my wish list. :smile:

Hugo

20. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All the best Domenico. I hope things work out for the better for you back in Italy. It is indeed very tough times right now for both seasoned artists and emerging artists alike. The world truly is changing at a fast pace, and the economic times are extremely fragile. Having the fortitude to be realistic and make this decision is obviously a painful one, but shows your strength and character as a human being. I hope your great work continues to evolve and that returning to Italy gives you a chance to re-energize and re-focus your photographic vision so that we can all continue to enjoy it!

21. maculadeplata

maculadeplata Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Everyone is feeling the crunch, believe me...You will arise again, my friend, like the phoenix from the ashes...Whatever you do, stay in touch once you get situated...

22. 36cm2

36cm2 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

Domenico, terribly sad to hear it didn't work out here. Don't fret. On the path you've chosen the people you inspire will far outnumber the tolls along the way. Ti auguro un buon ritorno all'Italia. In bocc'al lupo.

23. Wyno

Wyno Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I"m very sorry to hear this Domenico. I actually recommended that the photography students, at the tertiary institute where I work, look at your photos and learn from them because they are so good. I think they inspired a couple of them to try different approaches to their work.
    Thank you for willingness to share.
    Mike

24. ishutteratthethought

ishutteratthethought Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domenico, as others have said, your work is top level & unique.

I can only say that you must continue your art…you must not be deterred by sales or the business. The beautiful art you produce is from your heart and not determined by some price tag or sale.

I do care that people buy my photographs and enjoy them however the main reason I do photography is for me…It truly is what is in your heart that matters most. That element is what drives me day after day to continue in this medium.

Good luck in Italy and please please please, do not ever stop photographing, you are a great photographer/artist. Most people will never experience that.
    The sun will shine after the rain, it always does.
    Steve

25. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Leaving the business doesn't have to mean leaving photography, and I'm looking forward to seeing what you do next. Best wishes on your return to Italy.

26. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm very sorry to hear of the necessity of your move Domenico, I have always admired your work. Leaving this continent and the photography business here is a big change in direction, but I gather you will still be photographing. Whatever happens, don't become lost to us.
    Best wishes in your future endeavours.