Good B&W photo galleres in Manhattan

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Dave Krueger, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will be visting New York City late in August for a few days and would be interested if anyone has any recommendations for galleries I should see. I already plan to visit the International Center for Photography.

I won't have a lot of time, so I am only interested in black and white film photography for this trip.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

-Dave

2. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Check out Throckmorton Fine Art (200 block of E 57th, I think). They specialize in vintage and modern Asian and Latin American work. Also worth a look is Bonni Benrubi's gallery, also on E 57th. She may have large color or digital stuff on display, but she does have a commitment to showing film-based traditional printing. When I was up there in the spring she was showing platinum/palladium prints by a photographer named Jed Devine.

3. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not far from where I'll be staying. And they both have websites. How conveninent! :smile:

Excellent! It's kind of hard to identify the dates on the red room exhibits at the Bonni Benrubi Gallery, but it looks like they have a couple exhibits that will be perfect.

Throckmorton looks good as well. Even some names I recognize.

Thanks!

-Dave

4. Monophoto

Monophoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dave -

Check out this web site. It lists all of the photo galleries in the City and gives you an idea of what they are showing.

http://www.photography-guide.com/

Most of the galleries are clustered in the area between 10th and 11th Avenues, and between 18 and 26th streets. One effective approach in this area is to just walk around, stroll into the galleries to see what they are showing. Note that this is a former warehouse district, and it may be necessary to walk into a building to examine the directory to see what is actually there. Also, be aware that many are on a summer schedule - limited hours and perhaps second-string shows. The galleries aren't all photography - but it doesn't hurt to look at other forms of art.

There are also a few galleries in the few blocks North and South of Canal Street, and along Broadway. In the last few years, a few have relocated to a couple of buildings on 57th Street.

One of my favorites is the John Stevenson Gallery on 23rd Street, just east of 9th Avenue.

5. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    Stevenson Gallery is great, How about MOMA and The Met ?

6. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, visit it immediately. See my post about it closing soon.

7. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The problem is that I will only be there for a few days and want to be as efficient as possible. My primary plan is for this to be a photo expedition, so visiting the galleries is secondary. In any case, given the time crunch, I need to be certain that the galleries I visit will have something to look at. Usually, I think that just means checking them out on the web and giving them a call in advance.

I was in NYC once before when I had more time and managed to browse through the warehouse district you're referring to. In fact, I still have a stack of business cards from there. I have more time on that trip, though.

8. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can tell you for sure that I will be going to MOMA. I think they've had a major renovation since I was there last and MOMA caters more to my interests. I'm not sure about the MMA. Oddly enough, I may not go there just because I know I could never get out in less than a whole day. haha!

9. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will give them a call. Their website doesn't have a schedule for what's showing there. They do have a list of artists, though. Very nice. :smile:

10. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the Paula Barr gallery in grenwich village, at least a few years ago, had wonderful b&w images...especially her own iconic images of NYC and lovely portraits. She has gotten into other things...some that are very interesting and also patented. check out her web at: paulabarr.com
    PaulaBarr Studio
    west chelsea arts building
    508/526 west 26th street

11. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look on the MMA's website to see what they're showing with regards to photography - they have a substantial collection with great breadth and depth, and they frequently have interesting shows.

12. jovo

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My wife and I went last week. The Steichen gallery was closed until sometime this August when a fresh exhibit will open. There was, however, a very large exhibit of work by JoAnn Verburg which was quite worthwhile.

EDIT! Oops.....I'm talking about MoMA here, and not MMA. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2007
  13. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Galleries

Don't waste precious little time going to the MOMA. last time I was there; last year; it was a total joke-throngs-no hoardes of people just moving through the galleries. this is no way to appreciate art. stick with the private galleries. pick up a copy of photograph magazine-no just subscribe to it as it covers most of the major stuff in the usa.
    here's a little list for you....
    ICP
    Janet Borden
    Robin Rice
    Soho Photo
    Throckmorton
    Staley Wise
    Aperture
    Sonnabend
    Howard Greenburg
    Museum of the City of New York
    Zabriske
    Some of these are in midtown-the rest downtown where the real people hang out, there is a huge collection of galleries as someone mentioned on the west side of town. there is ALWAYS some great art in the big apple and if you have limited time make sure you check the hours of operation. and forget mondays
    summer schedules may differ...
    good luck,
    Peter

14. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the list, Peter. I've looked them all up and some of them have outstanding black and white work in their collections.

15. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Galleries

Dave-I was going to put this up yesterday but I'll do it now. My intention was not moma bashing in the least. I seldom if ever post negatively on this or any other site. au contraire moma does have one the most outstanding photo collections in the world. unfortunately the board of directors has chosen commerce over art.
    I used to cut high school and go there. part of my photo education was from actually seeing all the strands; westons; muyerbridge; et al that was hanging on the walls. one could actually stand there and take the time to soak it in. i'm afraid that is no longer the case. the sheer amount of people cruising through the galleries makes it virtually impossible.
    do check out the soho photo gallery. kind of a favorite of mine and the tribeca neighborhood on a sunday morning is wonderful. you can cruise up into soho and get an idea of what those places were like long ago. for brunch try the cupping room in soho. real pancakes with vt. maple syrup.....

16. jovo

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's true that the MoMA can be crowded. What's wonderful about that is that the admission fee is $20, yet there are flocks of folk attending. And they're not just older or younger or whiter or blacker or domestic or foreign or more or less hip....they're all those. It's really quite a treat to see the benches packed in front of a Van Gogh mural with people truly rapt; immersed in the spirit of the gallery. Just try to get some private time with Starry Night! Not likely!

When art is embraced to that extent, I feel optimistic that the culture in this country isn't beyond redemption. People of all descriptions either care or are willing to try to care. I've not felt so buoyant after a museum visit in a long time.

I hope your visit to New York offers you a similar sense of excitement and inspiration.

17. Jersey Vic

Jersey Vic Member

Shooter:
    Holga
    MOMA: My wife and I were alone with The David for a few minutes at The Accademia by getting there very early in bad weather & I was alone with the Turners at The Tate for a good 20 minutes! (they weren't actually open yet..this caused some problems..a story for another time).
    The same goes for MOMA..get there when they open and preferably not a Friday and you should be fine. And the when it gets crowded, the people watching is world class too. And check the film schedule-you're entitled to free tickets with admission.
    When you go to ICP: Yum Thai at 129 W. 44th (between 6th and 7th) is cheap and very good as is the hallal chicken stand on the NW corner of
    5th and 44th. The fallafel stand on southeast corner of 46th and 6th is also excellent.
    Have fun
    Victor

18. Dave Krueger

Dave Krueger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will look up both MMA and MOMA and see what's there before I make up my mind. For the right pictures I would brave the crowds.

I looked up the galleries you listed it looks like the Soho gallery is on vacation while we're there.