Good bag for RB-67?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by MenacingTourist, Jun 15, 2006.

1. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I finally bought a 180mm lens and now have nothing remotely convinient to carry this camera around in. I guess I'd like something that will hold the camera/lens an extra lens, meter, Diana camera and several rolls of film.

I'm a big fan of simple. I'm also a big fan of something that doesn't scream "steal me".

Thanks,

Alan

2. juan

juan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I went to my local Lowe's (a home improvement chain) and found a bag made for carrying tools. It was in the tool section. It's made of a synthetic fabric, has two large pockets for camera and lens on one side and film holders on the other, and several pockets on the outside. The bottom of the bag is made with some type of sturdy insert - I guess to keep heavy tools from poking through it. It has both a shoulder strap and handles. Cost less than $30. It is not a nice, shiny Halliburton case.
    juan

3. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got a Tenba backpack on eBay for incredibly little. It doesn't scream "steal me" so much as "I'm goin' campin." I get a lot of comments when I go to a local wildlife refuge from people who think that maybe I don't know the rules and am planning on staying for the night. :smile:

It has plenty of space for everything and is easy to adjust. I find that a backpack is great for something as heavy as an RB. Tenba seems to be cheaper on eBay than some of the other "pro" brands as well.

Good luck!

4. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got some cases and a bag from photobackpacker (one of APUG's sponsers) and I really like the setup. I met him at the conference and was able to get some measurements of my RB gear and there are several of his cases that work really well. He was very helpful when I had a few questions. Try pm'ing him.

5. Sandeep

Sandeep Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Mamiya RZ67 with the 180mm, 50mm ULD and 110mm as well as my handheld light meter. I use an ordinary street/school backpack which you can pick up anywhere, mine has nice shoulder padding and padding on the back support - $20. Then I purchased one of those soft padded lunch boxes with two compartments (food in one, drink in the other) one lens fits nicely in each compartment. And the soft padding of the lunchbox which is supposed to insulate your lunch provides plenty of protection. You can also put film in the lunchbox along with the lenses and it keeps it cool/warm. Cost $10.
    This is what it looks like: [​IMG]

Lunchbox laid sideways inside the backpack with RZ with 3rd lens attached goes on top of it and I have room for all my other accessories and film in the backpack.

I looked at the tool bags mentioned above, nice designs with lots of compartments but all the ones I saw were quite heavy as they are reinforced to prevent tools from ripping the canvas.

6. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've got a Tenba P995 (fine for RB) and a P595 (too small for RB), these are great bags.

Mike

7. Maris

Maris Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried one short cut after another and they were awkward in one way or another. The RB-67 kit now goes in a Lowe-Pro Commercial AW MF version shoulder bag. Everything fits easily in the bag (three lenses, two backs, body, meter, filters , film, etc) and I just grab the bag, the tripod , and GO!

The downside is the Lowe-Pro Commercial AW/MF is huge, maybe the biggest shoulder-bag made, a virtual "assistant killer", but I swap shoulders often so the pain is shared (halved?) and bag carrying does not result in permanent spinal deformity.

I guess "Lowe-Pro" is international-speak for "steal me" but out in the Australian bush only kangaroos or wombats have the bulk to make off with it and they would soon ditch it when they discovered it was only a film camera.

8. m_liddell

m_liddell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could get an RB, meter and a couple of lenses into one of the larger shoulder bags.

Have you considered where you will keep your tripod? I use the lowe pro mini trekker which is perfect for the RB, and the tripod attachement is great. Having a lowe bag with a tripod on it does scream steal me however.

9. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the great ideas everyone. I have some auction scanning to do...
    I guess the "steal me" factor is relative considering some people will steal anything :rolleyes:

10. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Locally, a car was broken into and among the items stolen were a pair of reading glasses and a bible. Maybe someone looking to reform?

11. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    if nothing else, use one of Hadley's old diaper bags. Not many theifs will steal a diaper bag especially if they think it is carrying a used diaper. Use a clean diaper as a wrap around the lenses. Get creative. Nothing beats that kind of Sh*t for not worth stealing.

12. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    That cute little troll is almost out of diapers now (thank goodness!) and I don't think we brought any diaper bags with us on the move. I like the diaper idea though and may end up just sticking one in an outside pocket as a deterrant :smile:

13. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tamrac Expedition 7 & 8

Need to make the jump away from shoulder bags. Currently everything except the working unit (body, finder, back, one lens) drops into it. But, need to grab and go, and sometimes hike out a mile or more to a location.

Hence, the search for the backpack. I like the setup and harness/strap construction of the Expedition 7 & 8 series. Unlike the Summit and Super Photo, the specs do not directly note use for MF. Is anyone using this system for MF, specifically RB/RZ, and how well does it hold the camera body?

14. kb244

kb244 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. jandk

jandk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    re: Tamrac Expedition 7 & 8

I have just bought the Tamrac Expedition 7, and It works wery well for me. I carry my Hasselblad equipment in it, plus a fuji 6x7 RF. You can easily fit one body w lens and back mounted, 3 extra lenses, 3-4 backs, light meter, extension tubes, and some other accessories. The carrying system is very good, and you can mount the tripod on the back.
    It's quite deep, so the camera should fit even with a prism finder mounted on it.
    I've only had it for a few weeks, but so far I'm very pleased with the comfort and the quality.

I found a review here which was very helpful to me before I made the purchase.

Hope that gives you some help.

/Anders

16. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have a Tamrac 777 http://www.digitalliquidators.com/detail.asp?id=tr777&l=more
    and googled the best price (ignore company name) of $255.00. B&H and Adorama want $310 for the backpack which is designed with hiking in mind. It's a great system that you can add extra accessories to and gives your equipment (and back) mamimum protection. This backback can really make a full system of photo gear feel light as a feather! Anything that looks like a backpack will probably draw less attention than a Haliburton case. I have noticed that people (at least in L.A.) are using the shiny Haliburton cases (or lookalikes) to transport big water-pipes and hookas from one opium/marijuana/tobacco den to another. Are they trying to look like an innocent clean and sober photographer or what? :confused:
    I can just see some thief screaming "Whaaa..... no hookah!!!" and throwing a couple of MF bodies and lenses on the street. (He'd probably keep the Haliburton case though, for future aquisitions). :sad:

17. Jim Charles

Jim Charles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Domke. I have the F-3X, it was a perfect travel bag. When packed fully, for travelling in the plane, I fit a 500CM, meter prism, 3 film backs, handheld meter, 50mm and 150mm C lenses, 25 rolls of 120 film, a 20D, 3 extra batteries, and an 18-200mm lens. Along with all the assorted filters and other goodies I needed. Of course, there's also the F-2, which is bigger.

18. Pragmatist

Pragmatist Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Horsetrading

Well, as usual I have sold something on the bay and spent the paypal before it could get too cold...

Bit for the Expedition 8 and find it super, if big on my back. Body, grip, WL & prism finders, four lenses, four backs, Lindahl shade, Pentax AF400T flash-bracket-batteries, mini softbox, 8" folding tabletop macro pod, Slik Pro 340DX pod, filters, and the usual panoply of bag paraphanalia, along with a load of film, GPS unit, binos, meters, and hey, room for the Yashi 124 as well! It carries all of this tolerably on a walk, but is a little top heavy. Guess I need to stay away from cliff lines...