good education

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by RalphLambrecht, Dec 18, 2012.

1. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    maybe some of you willlike theseand get something ou of them, i know ,i did, enjoy!

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ralph, is there a link missing here.

3. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Bill Burk

Bill Burk Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Ralph Thanks!

This is exactly the kind of thing I'm interested in, history of tone reproduction... Maybe I'm the only one who wants to hear about flare... it's in there but that's not the main subject...

Usually I hesitate to watch movies in links, but I highly recommend this and think every APUG reader should see this.

The surprising conclusion comes at the end after you see several processed images side-by-side with originals. My gut was telling me yecch on all the processed images.

John McCann said you don't have to do it (HDR) because Mees did a study that showed people prefer higher contrast "tone scale" images.

5. RalphLambrecht

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    especiallyif you know how to get them onto paper,that's the hard part.

6. Mr Bill

Mr Bill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I enjoy these also, especially the ones by Dick Lyon. Except that his are mostly digital, so don't fit in here. But the first two, PhotoTech EDU Day1 and 2 are pretty good if you enjoy the technical parts of image formation and human vision. If you're more of a pure photographer, using the photo tools as an artist, you probably don't care about this sort of stuff.

John McCann, by the way, used to head the Polaroid Vision Lab (or something to that effect). He is (or at least used to be) a regular speaker at the IS&T Color Conferences, often related to Land's Retinex theory. And Dick Lyon used to be the CTO (I think) for Foveon (the camera people).

7. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks!