Good frames for frequent swapping?

Discussion in 'Presentation & Marketing' started by gmikol, Oct 22, 2009.

1. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi all--

Last year, I started hanging 4 prints in my front hallway, which I rotate every couple of months. I'm using some pretty cheap wooden frames I got from Michaels, but I'm looking for something nicer, and I'm looking to expand the number of prints I have up, now that I've ordered better lighting. It's purely a vanity thing...this isn't my business, it's just to show off and impress my friends when they come visit, so lower-cost might be nice.

I'm looking for a good-quality, good-looking frame that's easy to swap images in and out of. I don't like the clip-style "frameless" frames. I *do* like the Nielsen metal frames, and the flexibility in terms of frame sizes, but I don't like the idea of having to dis-assemble and re-assemble every time I want to hang new prints. But I generally like the slim, contemporary look of black metal frames.

If I could find metal frames that had retention clips like a wood frame, that would be perfect.

Any suggestions out there? Maybe I'm not searching all that well, but the Nielsen frames (or clones thereof) seem to be the only thing I find.

Thanks--

Greg

2. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    you only have to remove one rail to switch out photos with a metal frame, which is faster than remove the tacks , etc from a wooden frame.

3. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use this sort of frame and they are very easy to open. 2 screws is all that need loosening to open them.

EDIT : yeah, what Ann said :smile:

4. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What the previous two posters said. But another possibility -- a year or two back I got some frames at Target that were simple gallery style frames made with a panel in the back. The panel rested in a groove at one end and had some little toggles to turn and anchor the other three edges. The panel appeared to be painted Masonite, or similar. The frame section was deep enough the frame could be flush against the wall. The major downside was that their "16x20" appeared to be more like 15 15/16 x 19 15/16 inches (where most frames include an extra 1/16 or so beyond the nominal dimension), which caused me some grief. At any rate, work in such a frame could be swapped out very quickly (if it fits!)

5. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Stephen Schaub at figitalrevolution.com has blogged recently about some of the alternative presentation methods he uses to display work in his gallery.

Some good ideas there, if you're not wedded to the idea of traditional frames and mats.

6. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Last time I suggested swapping, I got slapped.

7. MikeSeb

MikeSeb Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Perhaps you didn't frame the question correctly?

8. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    My problem is that my work is now "odd sized" (15"x22" or 22"x30") and doesn't look right in US standard sized frames. It looks like I'm going to need to have custom frames made, but IDK. Since these are "standard" sizes for watercolor I keep thinking there would be some off the shelf solution. If there is, I haven't found it. If I frame them, I'll float mount them, which would make it easy to change them out. Popping the backing board out of metal or wood frames is pretty easy, as long as you don't tab or click them in with harware like you mean to keep it in there forever. I'm thinking a pretty stiff backing board so not so many clips/tabs are needed, maybe four or six...

9. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about the eight or ten spring clips that hold the backing board against the glass? Those are a PITA to remove.

Here at work, where we display some of the brand names that the company I work for owns, we have some frames that are permanently fixed to the wall. They are 20x24 and the whole front of them swing open. Take the whole 'assembly' with backing board, print mount, and overmat, slip it in and close it back up again.

Don't know where to get them, but some research would help.

The disadvantage is - once they're up, they're up. You can't rotate them or anything. You'd be advantaged by printing square images, I guess.

10. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    well, the use of 8 to 10 spring clips is a bit much unless it is a very large piece.

a simple twist with a screw drive removes the clip. We tend to use one clip on each rail up to 16x20 more for bigger.

11. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nielsen frames very easy to assemble and swap with. Available in any size and a variety of styles from Light Impressions - very reliable, I have purchased from them for over 25 years.

12. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I do like the flexibility of the Nielsen style metal frames. For my silver gelatin prints I generally use the standard sizes, 12x16, 16x20, 20x24, and the not so standard 24x28. I can mix and match all those sizes as well as some odd-balls, like a frame for two 10x10 prints in the same frame (16x28). I have some odd ball lengths around also. I like the silver frame or the silver gelatin.

I don't use those springs -- with the #11 profile, I find a combination of glass, mat board and foam core (for the back) that creates a nice tight fit in the frame. Sometimes I ha e to compress the foam core a little along the edges to fit into the frame.

But now my images are usually 8x10 alt prints framed 16 x 20 (and 4x10 images in 12x16 frames), and I like a simple black painted wood frame. I don't need to do the mix and match thing, and it is nice to know I have a few 16x20 frames around. The nails (brads) on the back are not much of a problem. A pair of needle-nose pliers takes care of the removal and a brad-pusher makes pushing them in easy. Cleaning the glass and getting all the dust out is a bigger chore.

Vaughn

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a couple of frames that would be good for this - they are 14" x 14", have an 8x10 mat that can be used either vertically or horizontally, and have the toggles at the back.

I also have a couple of 20" x 20" frames that are similar, and should work for 11x14 prints as well (but haven't been put to use yet).

The square frames give a consistent appearance on the wall, which I really like if I'm displaying more than one photograph in a location.

Matt

14. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The best frames for frequent swapping are these:

http://halbe-rahmen.de/index.php?id=59&L=1

http://halbe-rahmen.de/en/main/produkte/das-prinzip.html

I use Nielsen for sales and Halbe for exhibitions.

15. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wow, Ralph...thanks for the tip on thse. They look great. A little pricier than Nielsen, it looks like, but a really awesome product. Doesn't look like they have a US distributor...Do you know what shipping from Germany is like for half-a-dozen frames?

--Greg

16. redrockcoulee

redrockcoulee Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Years back we bought Opus frames from Vancouver for this very thing. Years ago, I should say decades ago. At that time you could order them any size as my wife ordered 20X22 frames. I think they are slightly easier to change frequently than sectional frames. They are also heavier due to the need for a thicker backing. After a while one forgets to rotate the images though.

17. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welll, redrock, I found their website, and I don't see anything about custom sizes, and their webstore isn't set up for cross-border shipping anyway.

I have to admit, after looking at & listening to the stuff that MikeSeb linked to on Figital Revolution, I'm seriously considering going non-traditional. I always wanted a more casual way of presenting the stuff, I just hadn't figured out how. FR gave me some ideas that I'm tossing around.

I haven't made any final decisions yet, so I'm glad to hear any other ideas. I'll be sure to post up some pics once it's set up. (Before Christmas is my goal...)

--Greg

18. ann

ann Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    those do look like great frames, however, i haven't been able to find someplace in the USA to purchase

19. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greg

Send an email to Mr. Eichhorn (eichhorn@halbe.de) and tell him I've sent you. He is the managing director (now that the founder retired). I think they have an US distributor, at least they were working on one two years ago. I don't think shipping from Germany is an economical option.

I have about 30 of their frames, which allows me to quickly put an exhibition together. After the show, I take the mounted prints out of the frames (takes less than 5 seconds) and put them back into their storage boxes. They sell a lot of frames to museums and galleries. It's really a great product, and no, I have no affiliation with them, just a satisfied customer.

20. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Please don't take offense, but I find the juxtaposition of these 2 comments quite amusing. While I understand that you mean you have no financial interest in the company, you obviously have some affiliation...

Thanks again for the tip.

--Greg

21. fdi

fdi Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm
    My company sells Nielsen frames, and our wood frames are sold with flexible points. You just bend the points back to take the backing out. Another option is our profile 2 frame which is fairly low profile so you have the option of leaving out the spring clips so all you need to do is loosen two screws and detach one side.

Cheers,
    Mark

22. Medusa83

Medusa83 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  23. gmikol

gmikol Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  24. gmikol

gmikol Member