Good half frame news!

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by brianmquinn, Sep 30, 2009.

1. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am an odd person who likes to shoot odd size film (110 to 4x5). I do my own B&W developing but getting decent color prints from the lab lately is hard to do for the odd sizes. I just tried out a new lab and the results were quite good. Turn around time was only a week and an half including shipping across the country. Prints were decent and on Fuji Crystal Archive paper. A real bonus was they did high resolution scans (2340 x 1649) of the half frame negatives for only $5.99 extra for the whole roll of 75 negatives. The example image is from the CD with no enhancement. It was however cropped (not rotated) from a landscape to a portrait format. Film was the new Ektar. So break out that half frame camera for the fall and give it a workout.

The Photo Express
    614 Kirkwood Mall
    Bismark, ND 58505

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2009
  2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I really need to find myself a half frame camera! That is great! It would interesting to get 72 pictures per roll!

3. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just what I need, more gear.

4. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  5. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I love how we have all these new films and can put them in any old camera, taking their performance above and beyond what it was even when they were new. Shooting film has never been better!

6. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Were the prints cut so you got 72 back or did you have to cut them?

7. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got 75 individual 4x6 prints from this "36 exposure" roll of film. You often get a few extra shots depending on how the roll was loaded. The negatives themselves were cut to 6 inch long strips and sleeved in plastic so they would fit in the processing envelope. The Camera I used was a Yashica Samurai.
    http://www.subclub.org/shop/yashica.htm

8. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    4x5 is an odd size? I thought I was normal...

9. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So far I have used Ektar 100 in full frame 35mm format and in 6X7. The Ektar is so good I might dig out my two half-frame cameras. One is a Konica Auto Reflex and the other is a Konica AA35.

10. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    that's over $22 for a roll of prints.... without the 7.50 for scanning. Yikes.

11. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's $20 something for 72 shots. That is like $12 per roll of 36 exposure. Plus you save by only having to buy ONE roll of film. They only charged me $5.99 for the CD but the listed price on their web page is higher, perhaps a typo. The point of my post was not to list a cheap film printer, it was to let people know where they could get quality developing for half frame cameras. Remember you get what you pay for. I feel this company charges as fair price for good service.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2009
  12. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I always wanted half frame 35mm. One of these days I'll break down and get one!

Jeff

13. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All film cameras are bargains now. There are tones of cameras I lusted after for years but never thought I could own. Now thanks to digital cameras and ebay I now own a score of cameras. They cost me less then I would have had to pay for two or three of them 10 years ago. Darkroom equipment is also dirt cheap now. So pick up a tank and some 400Tmax (TMY-2) and develop your own.

14. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The bad news, they closed.
    http://www.cleverlyhidden.com/
    I’m just adding this info because the link to the half frame page is still active and looks like they are still in business.

15. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Didnt look at the date and my first thoughts: "Oh noes! The Pen ST that my GAS so much desires might go up in price now :sad:"

16. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sad, I guess the roll I sent in the fall was one of the last they processed. They did good work. I admit I was only sending them about one to two rolls a year for half frame work lately. Looks like that did not keep them in business. I will be sending my next half frame roll to
    http://www.bluemooncamera.com/35mmMachinePrints.php
    They have done nice work with the 110 film I have sent them in recent years. I would prefer to also gets scans on CD with developing but the Blue Moon prices for high quality scans is too much for me.