Good morning, APUG people!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Ralph Javins, Jul 7, 2008.

1. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, to start this I read some of the comments by others who arrived earlier. Just to get a feeling for the format and what was being said.

I do not think that I can top the story by Terry Again. While I have had a very different life, clearly it has not equaled his.

My father was US Navy for 24.5 years, so we moved around a lot. K-12 schooling took 14 different schools; two of which I went to twice. Parents did some photography when I was a kid. Usual family snapshot stuff. Duty stations ranged from the East Coast to islands in the Pacific.

Got my first 35 mm camera in college; a Yashica Lynx RF. That was replaced a couple of years later with a Minolta SR-1b with a 58 mm f 1.4 lens. By this time I was "hooked."

Built on the SR-1b into a workable system with a Durst 606 and every accessory known to man for the enlarger to handle the SR-1b output.

Got married with all that entails. Had kids. Took lots of photographs of the kids, places we went, things we did. Got unmarried. Lost everything.

Enjoyed a long hiatus from photography while concentrating on the important things in life, like paying child support. Suddenly, after 20 years, the kids were gone, and my paycheck was "my paycheck." During this 20 year time period I received a 2 & 1/4 Square MF, but I could not do anything with it then. It sat in storage for years.

Now I am no longer working and no longer paying child support. Life is surprisingly good. I am the one most surprised.

Now I have a couple of Nikon F and F2 bodies with 7 lenses for them. My old favorite Minolta system has been replaced with several manual focus bodies and 15 prime focal lengths in lenses from 16 mm to 1000 mm, a couple of zoom lenses, and a few accessories. A couple of years ago, I bought a Canon EOS-20D (couldn't find a 20Da) and started down the digital path also. Digital is so quick and convenient. You have it right now. Covering a seminar, convention, trade show, training activity, or something similar with a digital camera is so fast and easy. I can concentrate on the framing and the timing, and the camera seems to do the rest, unless I notice that there is something different. Then I may need to go to an override or manual mode.

Just recently I brought out the old 2 & 1/4 Square MF, and I feel like I did when taking photography courses back in the 1960's. A lot of the equipment from that time period fits right in with the MF. This is fun, and a lot slower paced than the digital and even 35 mm. I have noticed that it seems to take much more time to examine something and decide how I want to photograph it with the 2 & 1/4 Square. Much more thought and evaluation seems to be taking place. It is a very different form of photography, possibly similar to what the Large Format guys must experience.

Anyway, yes, I am having fun, and I am certainly staying busy. If I had known how wild my life was going to become, I might have tried to stay working longer with its predictability and familiarity.

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome (again :wink: ) Ralph. It's good to have you amongst our ranks here at APUG. :D

gene

3. mark

mark Member

Hello

4. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group, Ralph, from Delaware (last state before you hit the drink).

5. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Ralph, from the other side of the puddle.

6. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's the most important remark.
    Welcome

7. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    That's how I felt when I moved back to film :smile: Welcome to the APUG

8. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ralph, a warm welcome from the UK.

9. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard Ralph. Keep having that fun!

Bob.

10. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the APUG jungle Raplh!

11. rpsawin

rpsawin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  12. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome! It usually feels as if there's more info here than in an encyclopedia and it's nicer than looking things up. You found a great little corner of the web!

13. Ralph Javins

Ralph Javins Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A couple of things;

(1.) Thank you for the welcome. The discussions read so far have been interesting and technically satisfying. The range of locations for the members is also interesting. I admit that I had not expected to be welcomed by people in England. That even brought back memories of trying to readjust to driving on the right side of the road (not necessarily the "correct" side) upon returning to the States.

(2.) Bob or rpsawin; thank you for the referral to the thread on the formation of a Northwest Section of APUG, or at least a gathering of photographers in Newport.

Enjoy;

Ralph Javins