Good morning from an old-style lover

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by giacomo.fiani, Sep 3, 2011.

1. giacomo.fiani

giacomo.fiani Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello everybody,
    just want to introduce myself to the community: I'm a student from Italy who's been shooting film for almost 2 years and been reading this forum looking for advices for a while before I decided to join.
    So here I am, ready to learn more and more about the analog photography world and to share knowledge.
    I use 35mm and medium format, and have my own darkroom to develop film (b&w) and print pictures. What I like the best is when, looking at a print, I can say "wow, this looks like a picture from the past century!"

I'd like to start knowing you with a question: where do you think is the fashion in old-looking things?

2. M.A.Longmore

M.A.Longmore Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Home Giacomo !

Ron

3. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Welcome from Nevada. To answer your question, the qualities inherent in each and every media form, oil, water color , sculpture, wet plate, carbon, silver (analog processes), etc. do not become obsolete but become and remain current and viable forms of expression, when mastered and given an individual voice..it is the the journey that is the struggle and the joy. As artists, do we really have something to say, the media with which we choose to speak is an individual choice and always relevant and current...if there is communication and emotion.

4. giacomo.fiani

giacomo.fiani Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I share your point of view Dave, and would add: in the past thing were less simple, so to obtain some decent results you had to had skills. Analog photographers are skilled people who get bored if the have everything ready. Putting yourself to the test (and failing) leads you to be keen on analog photography, and develops your creativity.

5. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wear a mechanical watch with a leather band. I listen to music on a record player. I have notebooks that I jot notes down in with an ink pen or pencil. I shoot with either a 30 or 60 year old 4x5 camera.

For me it's not so much fashion as a preference.

Welcome to APUG.

6. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

7. giacomo.fiani

giacomo.fiani Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, it is a lifestyle that suits me too. Thanks everybody for welcoming me!

8. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    giacomo - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts USA. I just like doing things myself instead of a small computer deciding for me what to do. Enjoy your visits to APUG.

9. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry. Sometimes the BB dupes posts.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2011
  10. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Giacomo.

11. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    There is an old saying "what's old is new". For me, I left analog 10 years ago, and recently re-joined analog because I realized I dont want to be on a computer all day (my job) and at night (digital photog). I think there are many many analog photographers that feel that sentiment. In today's day and age, getting our 'feet wet' is getting less and less common with the digital processes proliferating for eg, I read my news online, I spend my day working on-line (I am a programmer) a connection to physical reality is only getting less and less common. Some are trying to sperate themselves from the digital and hence why you, me and 50,000 other APUG'ers are here.

Welcome to Apug!

Great intro and great question for us to ponder!

12. giacomo.fiani

giacomo.fiani Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow zsas, this is so true! A kind of escape not from reality but INTO reality (from the virtual dimension)... we really need it. All the digital stuff is so useful and convenient, but of course we must be aware that it can be overwhelming. And analog photography is so so concrete!

13. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG!!