Good News For Platinum Printers!

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Michael Kadillak, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Michael Kadillak

Michael Kadillak Member

Reading the Wall Street Journal this AM I read an article that stated that the price of platinum has dropped from nearly $2,000 per ounce size months ago to under $1,000 per ounce recently. Seems that the slow down of the auto industry and the lack of demand for catalytic converters that utilize platinum is creating a glut of this precious metal in the commodity markets.

With bad news around every corner, I wanted to at least pass this along in the for what it is worth category.

Cheers!

2. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That was good news. I didn't think I'd ever be able to afford Na2 again, or try a true mix of PtPd. Thanks, Michael.

3. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I wonder how long it will take to show up as lower prices in the Platinum Chloride suppliers. 60% of Platinum use is the auto industry. I love electric cars!!! Though I thought it was Palladium that was used in the catalytic converters. It looks like Palladium is holding pretty steady and silver is going up.

4. nze

nze Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Less car , more platinum print, may be ecologic

5. nworth

nworth Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Commodity prices have been highly inflated until recently. I expect the price will remain lower, but maybe not this low, even when auto production picks up.

6. photomc

photomc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would not look for the price to drop much from someone like Bostick and Sullivan, because they had not had a large increase in price when the price went up so high. My guess would be they had purchased enough metal salts to last a while and we all reaped the benefit (once more they have been taking care of us).

7. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&S already lowered prices on Platinum and NA2. I did unfortunately have to buy when the price was at a peak.

jan

8. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Group buy on potassium chloroplatinite at the lower price?
    Neal

9. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I don't think you will get it that much cheaper than B&S. remember you have to put it into solution and the mixture from platinum to potassium chloroplatinate is not a easy or safe process