Good news from Ilford

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by mikeg, Jul 12, 2005.

1. mikeg

mikeg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'm surprised that this hasn't been reported here yet (apologies if it has!). But Tim Rudman on the pure-silver mailing list has recently reported some good news from Ilford. They are apparently planning on developing a new range of products for B&W, plus a new website, training and a workshop programme. New products coming soon (less than 6 months) include a lith developer and a range of toners. Tim Rudman reports that other products are "under wraps". Ilford are apparently keen to encourage darkroom work and not just pick up the pieces from rival companies.

Sounds very encouraging indeed.

Cheers

Mike

2. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'd heard new things were on the way, but didnt know what ... toners and lith eh? sounds like the future is going to be bright for ilford and it's users

3. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thats us Brits for you, we'll only take so much before we go on the offensive! :D

4. kjsphoto

kjsphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I am so glad I switched over to Ilford film now! I am using Oriental paper but it seems now I will have to start using Ilford papers. Want to support them as they are supporting us!

Excellent news!

5. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope that one of the plans "under wraps" is to bring back their 220 films.

6. abeku

abeku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good news indeed!

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was one of the few users of their 4x6 postcard paper. They discontinued that without warning and i think i'm the only one who cares. Gotta love the fp4 though.

8. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll second that.

David.

9. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting as it is, I can't help feeling that lith developers and toners can be obtained anywhere: it does not require high technical ability. Ilford should be concentrating on their core strengths that are not easily duplicated by other suppliers: film and paper coating and production. To this end, it would be more useful to reintroduce 220 film and LF and ULF in more sizes and emulsions as many here and elsewhere have asked.

I for one would be happy to pay the extra to get 4x5 FP4, HP5, Delta etc. in a Readyload type package... I'll certainly be interested in any workshops they run.

Cheers, Bob.

10. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The obvious leap is lith developers mean Ilford will be selling papers that Lith well.

220 would be nice.

11. SchwinnParamount

SchwinnParamount Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Me too!

12. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am very happy, although for different reasons. I just this second got back from film shopping in Milan, Italy. I use one of the three/four professional wholesale-type stores here. When I asked for Delta 3200 120, I got a, "Have none and probably never will again." from the sales guy. Naturally I asked why and got, "They're going backrupt. They've sold the inkjet paper, they're stopping wet B&W papers altogether."

In one fell swoop, this guy, supposedly the peak in terms of access to photography suppliers for northern Italy, managed to piece together three pieces of outdated or plain wrong information! I'm surprised he didn't add some hearsay about Agfa in there too. So when I offered that Ilford had gone, and come back from bankruptcy for one, it was Kodak and not Ilford that was stopping B&W papers for two, and the inkjet sale was part of the restructuring plan last autumn for three... he had no idea what going on anymore.

Ilford Photo had better get some guys dealing with the misinformation out here!

Our parting comments were when I asked if they had any new Velvia 100 to try he replied, "Sure, we've had that for over a year now." I just left.

13. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Those of us in the postcard exchange are avid users of the postcard stock.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Steve Roberts

Steve Roberts Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I emailed Ilford enquiring whether PC paper was scheduled for re-introduction and was (eventually) told that it isn't. Perhaps if enough APUG-ers email them with the same question, they might take the hint?
    Steve

16. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I did likewise, but didn't get a reply!

17. Marco Gilardetti

Marco Gilardetti Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Here you have another RC Postcard fanatic.

Will Email today, but I can hardly figure I'll get any answer.

18. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
  19. User Removed

User Removed Guest

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Personally, I think this was all planned by Ilford as just a way to get a fresh new start in the market and hopefully raise some sales. They got everyones attention by stopping production of their products, now they bring back tons of new stuff within a snap.

Im glad they are back and going to do this thought! I have just seen many companies do this to get a fresh new start with things.

20. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The old Ilford has passed on, it is no more, it has passed away, gone. Bereft of life, it has expired and gone to meet the great darkroom trash bin in the sky. It has kicked the bucket, shuffled off this mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the choir invisible... It is an ex-company... (with apologies to Mr. M. Python of Fugglestone St Peter, Hampshire)...

It was broken up and sold off in (mainly) two parts. What we are calling Ilford is in fact Harman Technology Ltd (named after Alfred Harman who originally founded Ilford in his basement) trading under the name of Ilford for it's B&W products.

Bob.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2005
  21. jjstafford

jjstafford Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just pray they don't replace their B&W with T-Grain films.

22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hate to tell you but they've been making their equivalents of T-grain films for quite a while :smile:

Delta 100 & Delta 400, and Agfa APX100 uses similar technology

Ian

23. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well Andrew, I certainly agree that there is no one so offensive as a Brit who is trying to be offensive. Luckily, for us on APUG your are a chap wrapped in warmth and charm.

No, Andrew I am not looking for a date.

24. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As Dr. Tim is an enthusistic lith printer, perhaps a new paper emulsion designed for lith printing is on the agenda of future products. I`ve heard that there may be two new print developers to be introduced soon, one a cold tone developer and the other a warmtone developer.
    A range of toners is of interest too.

25. Keith Tapscott.

Keith Tapscott. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They will if there`s enough demand for it.

26. Peter Schrager

Peter Schrager Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    APX100

Ian-you really think that Apx100 is T-grain technology? I don't think so. That film is about as old tech as it gets and I love it for that. Someone else care to comment on this?
    Best, Peter