Good place to get a CLA....

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Dave Parker, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, as I posted in the other thread about the Leica IIIb that I picked up on Saturday, and I am very happy, but I would like to know who is a good shop to send it to, for a complete CLA to check all the functions and tune it up, anybody got a good recommendation? I have a couple of repair shops I work with for my modern AF cameras, but want to make sure and send this to a shop that has a good amount of experiance with this type of vintage camera.

Thanks for any insight.

R.

2. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Cameraquest

3. wilsonneal

wilsonneal Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
  4. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don Goldberg at D.A.G. Camera Repair (608) 835-3342 or Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch Quality Camera Repair (845) 496-8834. Both are highly recommended by the Leica Historical Society for their outstanding care of older Leicas.

I don't think CameraQuest is a repair facility--they are a "middleman" and ship the camera off to other facilities. Personally, I want to talk to the actual person performing the work.

5. Captain Slack

Captain Slack Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I sent my IIf to Oleg at http://www.okvintagecamera.com/. He did a CLA and replaced the curtains for $74. Lot cheaper than DAG or Sherry and he did an excellent job.

The catch you, ask? He lives in Russian and the camera was away for six weeks.

6. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave, not knowing your location its difficult to make suggestions. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 20, 2006
  7. StephenS

StephenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sherry. She's also fun to talk to if your personalities match.

I've used both Goldberg and Sherry but my preference is Sherry because of my conversations with her and also the personal attention and quality of the work. Sherry has quite a history with Leica.

But I'd say these are your two top choices.