Good stainless developing reel?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by laverdure, Apr 7, 2007.

1. laverdure

laverdure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wondering if anyone could advise me on a good brand of stainless steel developing reels. I've come across a string of crappy ones and now I'm looking for better.

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Do a search. You'll find that just about everyone recommends Hewes.

Cheers,

R.

3. laverdure

laverdure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    thanks!

4. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nikors have always worked well for me.

5. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning,

Hewes first, especially in 35mm; Kinderman an extremely close second, maybe preferable in 120.

Konical

6. kchittenden

kchittenden Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hewes is the best I have come across.

7. Flotsam

Flotsam Member

One of the most trying things about loading SS reels is getting the film started straight and centered. Hewes engages the 35mm film's sprocket holes eliminating this problem. They are also very well made.

8. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One word, Hewes. The best for 35mm. Can't comment about the 120 size.

9. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For economy sake, I bought some to the 35mm Kalt reels from B&H that were designated as "high grade". They are surprisingly good quality reels that are easy to load and have held up well for the last year or two. They have a smoother finish and better clips than the cheaper reels. I use the standard grade Kalt reels in 120 and they've been fine for the price. I also like the excellent Hewes reels (I only have one) but they are pricey. Cheap, no-name reels are usually a waste of money.

Here's a link to the 35mm Kalt reels from B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...022&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

10. Jim Jones

Jim Jones Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Almost any stainless steel reel can be made to work well. If they are bent, they can be straightened. Otherwise, the biggest problem is the clip. If the film isn't well centered when anchored, it probably won't load smoothly. I remove those spring clips. Cutting the end of the film off square and folding it over a time or two anchors it in the reel's core. The film tends to center itself between flanges. This can be checked by feel. This method might not be as convenient as a reel in good condition that engages the sprocket holes, but it works for this cheapskate.

11. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have and have used both Hewes and Kindermann, and think they are both excellent. I use the Kindermann now, because I got tired of ruining frames on 120 film from improper loading, and purchased a Kindermann loader. Loading reels is now much less stressful and more reliable.

Apparently, Murphy was also a photographer. His law always seems to come into play by ruining the most valuable frame on the roll! The Kindermann loader levels the playing field a bit.

12. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I prefer the Hewes SS reels in both 35mm and 120. I prefer the Hewes reels over Kinderman and Nikor.

13. laverdure

laverdure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Those sprocket pegs sound gorgeous. Thanks again all.

14. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ...and they are. When I first spotted them on the Hewe's reels, I was astounded at what a simple solution to a thorny problem they were. A clear case of less is more if I ever saw one.

15. Rob Skeoch

Rob Skeoch Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Kinderman for me, although I haven't tried the Hewe's.

16. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have both Kindermann and Hewes. I won't use any other SS reel. I prefer Kindermann over Hewes but they're both very good.

17. radiantdarkroom

radiantdarkroom Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes Hewes, really kicks ass in 135 format. I had used other brands for about 5 years. Then I worked in a lab that had Hewes, talk about easy and fast no more swearing at the blasted little film clip and bent spiral.. I bought all the reels when they went out business.

So if you want easy, go Hewes.

18. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have Kindermann reels and love them - they work very well. The design of the clip makes it very easy to get the film properly centered

19. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do the current Kinderman 35mm reels still have the clip that requires you to cut the film leader to a certain shape to fit? I had some Kinderman reels over 30 years ago that were like that. If you could manage to cut the leader to the correct shape in the dark, they were easy to load. But whittling on the leader in the dark with scissors made me learn to hate using those damn reels.

20. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use Kindermann for 35mm and Hewes for 120. No problems with either.
    My Kindermann reels are older and I've never cut anything, I just kind of jam them in there and start loading.. Used with the loader it's foolproof every time.

I have a box of 'cheap' 120 reels and I don't touch them ever. Just my two Hewes reels.

21. laverdure

laverdure Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Just put four rolls of 35 through my new hewes... and it was a true photographic revelation. Thank you all, I am a new man, didn't curse once.

22. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I know this is an old thread, but hey, figured I would keep the info on one place in case someone was doing a search.

So I have used many types of 35mm stainless reels and just got some Hewes after hearing all the praise, and have to say I am a believer. Those sprocket hole pins are an act of pure engineering brilliance!

I have tried maybe 4 different brands of SS and these just went like clockwork. No fuss, no muss..happy customer.

23. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nikors were the best in the old days, but they have not been made in a very long time, and most are bent up from use. I have several, some are good, some are not. Hewes are available new and are actually better made with heavier wire than the old Nikors.

24. shutterclank

shutterclank Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hewes. best reels ever.