good website for info on Bessas?

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by bessa_L_R3a, Jan 7, 2008.

1. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi,

I have more questions about the inner workings of the R3a, specifically, but I don't want to bore anyone here so is there a website that has an explanation of how it works in and out?

2. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also: http://www.rangefinderforum.com/

As I understand it, the site is now owned by the same fellow who owns Camera Quest.

BTW: Steve Gandy is a "good guy". I've purchased two R2S camera bodies from him and several lenses to fit etc.

4. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Only so long as you're buying from him (and I have, including my 28 Ultron, 25 Skopar, Bessa L, and a few odds & ends). If he thinks you're biting into his business, like publishing how-tos on Bessa repair, etc... then it's a different story. :rolleyes:

5. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    For a little more on the inner workings, I have a DIY article on R2A/R3A rangefinder adjustment at: http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/58/82/.

There is also an article out there (can't locate it now) that has photos of a disassembled R2.

6. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    What exactly do you mean by that?

7. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It means exactly what it says. It's a fairly straightforward statement. As to why (that's probably what you intended to ask) it was already discussed to death some months back on the CVUG (a discussion which I could not be a part of) and the forums on the uCVc.

The CVUG has archives. Check there. :wink:

8. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for mentioning uCVc Brian, having been made persona non grata in the RFF shop quite some time ago I had no idea the uCVc was out there! Just signed up.

Also I saw mention of rfcameras.org on uCVc, but get a domain default page when I navigate there. Does anyone know if the site is down, or is there a problem at my end? I'm running Safari or Firefox on Intel mac.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  9. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No worries. For a time Gandy was banning any reference to the uCVc on the RFF (i.e. if anyone would post a link to a review or article there the post would be deleted by a mod...not photo.nut or any other site...just uCVc). I'm not sure if he's still doing that.

Yeah, it didn't last long. There were a couple users that really beat the forums admin to death and he just threw in the towel.

10. Andy K

Andy K Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Thats a real shame. One person having a virtual monopoly on RF discussion is not good, particularly when that person has a vested interest in selling RF cameras.

11. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF

12. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tip of the nose and the glasses are most likely on different distances from your camera and hence can’t be in focus at the same time.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 23, 2008
  13. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep! the glasses are behind the nose so both can't be the focal point. :smile:

14. vdonovan

vdonovan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Gents, For what it's worth, I've started a Bessa repair Wiki with the intent of offering a place where Bessa knowledge can be consolidated:
    http://bessar.wetpaint.com/

Feel free to use it or ignore it as pleases you. It has pointers to the articles you've mentioned above.

I've posted information about this wiki several times on Rangefinderforum.com and the information has never been deleted.

15. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was banned from RFF [...] quite some time ago now - back when the site was owned by Jorge Torballa.

It was a blessing in disguise as I had just discovered APUG and have never really looked back.

I'm going to check out BrianPhotog's site recommendation. I remember him from my RFF days - good to "hear" from him again.

BTW: I've only lightly used my two CV Bessa R2S's - but very interested in hearing about how they stand up over time. And how, if need be, to get them repaired.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  16. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There are a lot of good people here from what I see. Why did they ban you George? You seem like a knowledgeable and friendly person.

17. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ok, then how come when I focus on a wall frame and the vertical sides are aligned, the top side is not? Is this also a distance issue? If I align right up to the top corner, the vertical side is good and the top side is slightly off ... It sort of bothers me, but if it will all come out in focus anyway then I´m not too concerned.

18. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. I never quite knew why and no longer care. It was a long while ago.

19. Donald Boyd

Donald Boyd Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Maybe they were having their period.

20. BrianPhotog

BrianPhotog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vertical misalignment? I have a article on vertically adjusting the RF patch at http://www.cosina-voigtlander.com/content/view/58/82/, but I'm not sure that's what your issue is. :confused:

21. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If there is a vertical/horizontal focus discrepancy I suspect that something might be wrong with your camera (I can’t be sure since I have only used Leica cameras and they might work differently – although I doubt this). If I remember correctly you bought this camera recently and it should be under warranty. Have someone look at it.

22. bessa_L_R3a

bessa_L_R3a Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Good memory! Yes, I did bring it in for the guy to look at it and he spent a few minutes focusing and checking it out and said he didn't notice anything wrong ... I'm not going to push it. If I start noticing a lot of blur issues I will deal with it again. I've only developed one roll so far and of that scanned just a few frames so I won't be sure yet.

23. kivis

kivis Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    None this is my experience. Rangefinder Forum is a lively place where criticisms when warranted flow freely even if it includes Cameraquest which is rare. It is rare because IMHO he does a bang up job.

24. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say the same of the CVUG (Cosina/Voigtlander Users Group) list, which Steve Gandy also runs. People freely criticize C/V products and talk about problems there. Gandy may step in occasionally and offer his views, but doesn't prevent or censor discussion about the hardware. If you read the cameraquest pages with your brain engaged, you can get a much better idea about the strengths and weaknesses of the C/V products than you can from any other retailer's web presence that I've seen.

Lee