Goofy flash question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by MartinCrabtree, May 28, 2013.

1. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just picked up a Nikon F5 and have no flash (or cash) other than an older Canon Speedlite 199. Any chance it'll work in manual mode or will it fry delicate electronics?

2. LiamG

LiamG Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    web info indicates that sync voltage shouldn't be a problem for that unit. If you want/need TTL flash, it's really quite good with the F5, so you should maybe look around for an SB-24/5/6/8. I think the 25 and up use the "3D" gimick with D lenses, I only have 24's, so I guess I don't really know what that would add, no complaints here- it fills all my flash needs (pun intended).

3. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A generic flash like a vivitar 285 is a good choice. No ttl metering though. The f stop calculator is pretty good. Guide number calculator is good too.

4. MartinCrabtree

MartinCrabtree Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    After buying the F5 and some glass I'm kinda short on cash for awhile. Just wondering if the flash I actually have will work manually w/o hurting the camera or not. I'll be picking up an SB-28 for the F5 when I have cash again.

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    In general, the Canon Speedlite 199 should work. That flash has a non-TTL mode. The question is more what the other pins than the main, central connector, will communicate to the camera. Nothing intelligible I'm sure! You should be able to use it fine in manual mode. If you are at all worried, cover up the other pins so they can't make contact. I expect they won't do anything.

6. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have tried the 199a on my F5 it works fine. I don't have the flash anymore I gave it away.