Gossen Digisix F

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Alex Muir, Jan 20, 2013.

1. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Does anyone have experience of this meter? It may properly be called a Digiflash. Is it a good , general purpose meter?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 20, 2013
  2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    it's an upgraded version of the "ordinary" Digisix I believe.
    I recently bought a Digisix, and while it's small and neat and appears to be accurate, I find (e.g) changing ISO extremely fiddly, and it's all to easy to activate the extras like alarms and so on without meaning to. All a bit annoying.

3. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that. These are the kind of things I was wondering about. On paper it looks ideal, but practical experience is what really counts.

4. DSLR

DSLR Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it is very annoying and I seem to forget how to do it every time. Other than that it's a great little meter. If you can operate a digital watch, you won't have a problem.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using my Digiflash meter for over two years.

It works really well and is very compact. I installed a small jeweller's plastic bag in the case to hold an extra battery, which also helps it to stay unchanged when I pull it out of the case.

It can be a bit fiddly to adjust to the right mode and to change the EI, but even if you accidentally change the mode, it takes about 3 seconds to get it back where it belongs.

It is accurate and repeatable in standard reflected and incident modes. I have a problem with the flash mode that I need to have checked.

And it is so easy to take with you!

6. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have the Digisix and it is an accurate and versatile little meter. It weights nearly nothing! The battery will last for about 2 years from my experience, but I have not used it much. It is as accurate as my Digipro F in incident and reflective mode (I compared them side by side), but for serious shootings I prefer the latter, because it looks so much more "pro".

7. Alex Muir

Alex Muir Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all the helpful replies. I'm used to a Lunasix F where all the settings are clearly visible, and easy to change as necessary. The "digital watch" situation always catches me out. I have a timer at home and I have lost the instructions. No matter what combination of buttons I press, I cannot set the time. I am of the view, however, that a digital meter is now preferable to a moving needle type. I will look at the specs of some of the other current digital models. Thanks. Alex.

8. Timestep

Timestep Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I will second the DigiPro F commendation.
    Perhaps the Digisix could be termed complimentary to the main meter.
    My wife uses one, kept in the front pocket of a Lowe holster, as a 'walking-around"outfit; but depends on Sekonic (Norwood) L398's for serious use.

I switched to the DigiPro F — from Lunasix and Norwood— several years ago and have never looked back.