Gossen Luna Pro SBC or Weston Master V?

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Wade D, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have seen both on ebay in good shape for little money. I have been using the meter in my Maxxum 7000 for MF & LF readings but would rather not have to lug it along any more. Any thoughts or preferences?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Weston is a lot smaller, but beware many are dodgy as the selenium cells age badly. The LunaPro SBC is far more accurate particularly in low light levels and you can get a 7/15 degree spot attachment, as well as other extra, but it's a big meter.

Ian

3. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    One more vote for the Gossen meter.
    True, it is a big meter but if you can live with that the rest is excellent.
    There are also a lot of accessories available.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the luna pro is a great meter!
    someone "in the know" once told
    me it reads blue light so it can really
    give you good readings in low light ...
    not sure if it is true or not, but i have been
    using one for 20+ years ... and aside from
    all the cool attachments you can get for it,
    one of the best things is it takes a standard 9 volt battery!

5. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Luna pro is a great meter. I have the EU version Lunasix-3 with spott metering 7,5 degree.
    The meter use 2x 1,35V mercury battery but the set can be replaced by an adapter with Silver Oxide battery and diode. The measuring range is very wide and precise.

6. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert, the Luna Pro/Lunasix is quite a different to the Luna Pro SBC/Profisix SBC which is a Null meter and larger, I have both bought via APUG adverts :D

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  7. Stephanie Brim

Stephanie Brim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just bought a Luna Pro SBC to replace my Pro-F that decided to die on me after my daughter went and dropped it. I *love* it. Works very well, even in the lowest light I've thrown at it.

8. williamtheis

williamtheis Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    the spot meter attachment is to imprecise for the Luna Pro... but then again, the Weston has none. I use a Pentax spotmeter... the V is analogue and the others are digital. all work well, if you know the zone system... Phil Davis would council for an incident reading meter like the Luna Pro/Weston with the "ping pong ball" translucent receptor in front of the element. just take the reading and it's 18% gray... transfer directly to the camera...

9. jamesgignac

jamesgignac Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been putting my Luna Pro SBC for about six months now and am loving it - I only now have learned that it's considered 'big' :smile:

I'll vote for the Luna though I can't say I've had much experience elsewhere (outside of internal metering.)

10. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I consider the main feature of the Luna Pro SBC / Profisix that one can "place" object luminance very easily at relative values.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2010
  11. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    weston

Weston Meter

If you have the option and can find a good one, the Weston is fine instrument with a built in Zone scale on the dial..I have both the Weston and Luna Pro SBC with null dial. For anyone learning the zone system the Weston dial makes understanding zone placement much easier

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Compared to a Luna Pro/Lunasix it's a bit larger & bulkier, but a Weston is very mush smaller & lighter, and my Russian Leningrad is smaller still.

The Luna Pro SBC/Profisix SBC allows you to take a null reading which it stores then compare other needle readings to it, without referring to the exposure dial, just a different way of working, some say it's an advantage.

Ian

13. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Gossen Luna Pro modified to take silver 625 batteries. The Gossen is pretty good, but I have a Weston Master V as well, who's readings generally concur with the Gossen.
    Not having to rely on batteries is nice with the Weston, and it is quite a bit smaller. I always have it along as a spare.

The Gossen as I recall was fairly expensive but the Weston I picked up at a junk store as not working for $5.00. It did and does work.

14. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recommend Gossen Luna Pro. I really like mine.

Jeff

15. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    OP asked about the Luna Pro SBC and the Weston Master V. They are poles apart. The Lunapro/Six is closer to the Master V and, I think, are like comparing apples. The SBC is an orange.

I have an old Luna Pro and I have two Weston Master Vs, and a Weston Euro-Master. I use them all.
    And it was once said to me that when you understand the Weston Master V dial, you shall understand what exposure is all about.

16. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Imprecise in what way?

I have the multi-angle attachment, but I haven't put it to any practical use yet. (It's as large as the meter, so doesn't lend itself to stuffing in my pocket.)

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

In some ways he's right, until recently (2 years ago) I used my 2 Spot-meters exclusively, great no exposure problems, tight precise exposures no bracketing even with E6.

But both have issues, a dodgy switch on one and no spare parts, I bought a Luna Pro (Lunasix) at a great price with a 7.5/15° attachment via this site and in all honesty my exposures are just as fight. It's a very useful attachment.

You learn how to use a particular meter, I began with Weaston's, some got stolen, others dropped by employee's and I must find out where my good one is (I lent it to someone). Until I bought a Pentax Sp V I used a Weston Master V or Euromaster for the Zone system & all my E6 work with no issues.

So after 20 + years of just using Spot-meters I actually found I really liked my Luna Pro, and Spot attachment, so much so I bought a second although this time a Luna Pro (Profisix) SBC. Negatives are so consistent it's almost boring.

Having said all that I bought a Minolta Spotmeter a few weeks ago, but I won't get it until I next return to the UK.

Ian

18. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replies. I'm leaning toward the Luna Pro and wouldn't mind having both. A dedicated spot meter (Pentax, Soligor, Minolta, etc.) would be nice as well. The prices are a bit high for my budget. I have a 40's GE meter and a 60's Sekonic. Neither are accurate any more. Even the Maxxum meter isn't spot on and needs tweaking for best exposures.

19. Mike1234

Mike1234 Inactive

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've owned a LP SBC for MANY, MANY years and it's never let me down... accurate, sensitive, and never needed adjustment. I also like the common 9v battery it uses.

20. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've owned both these meters for more than twenty years, I would recommend the Luna Pro SBC, and although It's battery dependant the 9volt PP3 it takes can be bought anywhere, and last for years.

21. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1
    Both meters have their place. The Weston is compact & has lots of information on the dial, The Gossen with the null indicator & 9V battery is fast & accurate with an extended low light range.

22. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just one minor caution about the Profisix/Luna Pro SBC.

A couple of years ago I took mine in to a repair technician to have him perform the meter equivalent of a CLA.

I figured after 30 years of dependable use, my meter deserved a "spa day" :smile:.

The technician mentioned to me that it was probably a good idea to do so, because they were starting to encounter some part supply problems with Gossen meters of this vintage.

I also had a shoemaker repair the hinge on the leather case.

Everything continues to work great.

Matt