Gossen Lunasix 3's and battery conversion

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Andrew Moxom, Mar 25, 2008.

1. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Lunasix 3's has the last set of Mercury PX625 batteries installed, and I just wanted to know who is using their gossen meter with their newer battery adaptor? I will eventually need to use one of these, or go with the Zinc Air batteries. I hear mixed feelings with zinc air batteries as they do not last long.

So the battery adaptor is looking like the only option. What I would like to know is, is it working well for you? Also, does the adaptor have the little diode and resistor that lowers the voltage down to 2.7 volts? I am curious how these adaptors are faring using the LR44 silver oxides, and how accurate the meters are using them?

I was also thinking that the CN1/3 lithium might be a good fit for this application, but am not sure?? Anyone try it?

2. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have an adaptor to my Gossen Lunasix and I must say that it works very well indeed. The meter is quite accurate and two LR 44 batteries lasts a long time.

3. rosey

rosey Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I also use an adapter for my Gossen, but use SR44 cells. I'm always leery of alkaline batts which can leak, even the button cells. The silver ones have never leaked in a meter or camera of mine. The battery adapter is spot-on on my LunaPro.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  4. MP_Wayne

MP_Wayne Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I too have a Lunasix 3 and have not yet addressed the discontinued battery issue. I have a few of those mercury batteries still, but I use them on my old F-1s.

Therefore, could someone post a link to the adapters of which you write (and with which you have had success?). I'd like to restart my Lunasix 3 as a backup meter.

Thanks!

5. Uhner

Uhner Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did some reading before I bought mine, and I think I found this information on www.gossen-photo.de - but I can’t find any reference to the adaptor anymore.

Anyway, it is a small plastic gizmo that holds the batteries and fits into the battery chamber. I think that the best bet is to contact Gossen directly and inquire if they are still available. Take a look at http://www.gossen-photo.de/english/foto_service.html

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2008
  7. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, I ordered mine from B+H

8. MP_Wayne

MP_Wayne Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the pointers on obtaining an adapter.

9. Lol999

Lol999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I bought one of the adaptors a few months ago and it works great. I compared it to my F3 measuring a plain wall in my house and there was about 1/3 stop in it. Good enough for me.

Cheers, Lol

10. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just use hear-aid batteries. They are the same as Wein at a fraction of the cost. Just bought 4 for $6.75.

11. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received my little Gossen battery doodad via UPS yesterday. From what I can tell, there looks to be some components inside it at the bottom of the adaptor inside a little cover. I believe this to be a schotky diode and maybe a resistor to lower the voltage as the original mercury PX625 batteries were 1.35 volts each, and the LR44 silver oxide versions are 1.5 volts each. The little circuit lowers the voltage close to the 2.7volts required. Otherwise, we'd need to get the meter calibrated.... Anyone know for sure?

12. Fred Aspen

Fred Aspen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andrew,

I had the same question a few years back. I measured the adapter with my Fluke multimeter a few minutes ago and it measures .996 meg forward biased and 'open' reverse biased. My guess: a diode was employed that provides a diode drop in voltage but I could be wrong.

Fred

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2008
  13. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Fred.

14. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Your adapter does exactly as you suspected. It drops the V to that required.
    Some fixes for metering systems were the same idea, but done under the covers so to speak. Adding a diode, that is.

15. Cor

Cor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure if this guy is still selling, but he is far cheaper than B&H, and at least his pdf is an in-depth discussion of the problem..:wink:..

http://www.ihagee.org/batt-adapt-us.pdf

Best,

Cor

16. Elox

Elox Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use the hearing aid batteries with these adapters:

http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm

in several cameras and light meters that used PX625 mercury batteries.

17. cemtist

cemtist Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    İ want to ask a question: what is the model of this gossen lunasix 3? thank you.