Gossen Lunda-Pro Batteries?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Dane, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dane

Dane Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello,

new to the forum, just bought a Gossen Luna-Pro (typo in the title!). Needle moves slightly, but won't hit up to the red marker when I run battery check. So I am guessing it needs new batteries.

I removed the old ones, and they are corroded, but the battery chamber itself is fine.

I looked for what information I could on this, but I am not confirmed with any of the information.

1. It can take wein cells?
    2. you can buy hearing aid batteries (675?) and place them in the original washers and use those?

Any help is appreciated. :smile:

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe clean the battery contacts with some rubbing alchol.

Jeff

3. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Contact Jon Goodman - interslice on eBay. He sells adapters that take the 675 hearing aid cells but fit the battery compartments.

I've bought a few things from him - he is great to deal with.

He is most famous for light seal kits for older cameras.

His email address can be obtained by clicking on the link at the bottom of his eBay listings.

Alternatively: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/89868-REG/Gossen_GO_4145_Adapter_Kit_Battery_Holder_for.html

The wein cells do work, but are expensive.

4. Dane

Dane Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the replies guys! Anything I should watch out for like batteries that are BAD to use?

Also does anyone know about re-using the washers from previous batteries and then just inserting a hearing aid battery inside of them?

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The alkaline and silver oxide 625 batteries are bad - their voltages are wrong and, in the case of the alkaline versions, inconsistent.

As for your reference to "washers from previous batteries" I'm not sure what you mean, because I've never disassembled a battery, and therefore wasn't aware that there might be a re-usable washer inside.

I'd be concerned that the physical size and shape of any included washer wouldn't ensure that the necessary connections would be made.

6. Dane

Dane Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks! Well it's a battery with a washer around it, and as far as I know the washer is just a spacer? I had heard that you could press out the battery, and then press-in hearing aid batteries.

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think you will find that the luna pro meters require something that is the same size and shape as a 625 cel. I don't think the washer around a hearing aid cel duplicates the thickness correctly.

8. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. jeffreyg

jeffreyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Just a comment on batteries. I change all my light meter batteries as well as our smoke detector batteries on my birthday good or bad. I also wouldn't keep the batteries in the unit if it is not going to be used for an extended period of time. I have used Wein batteries in my Luna Pro.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

10. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Whether Wein cells or hearing aid batteries, they're zinc-air cells whose short service life makes using old meters problematic. Nothing comes close to the almost-flat discharge curve of the old PX625 and other mercury cells. Maybe it's time to look into a newer meter?

11. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Could this be what you are looking for? I haven't looked into the specific battery required for the meter you mention, but... well, I have this adapter for various other pieces of equipment that require a PX14.

If it's not PX14 you require, browse a bit more on that site or others, and you'll probably find what you're looking for.

12. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  13. Zathras

Zathras Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I also have a Luna-Pro and this is what I did. I purchased the Luna Pro Battery Adapter from B&H in New York for my meter. It was designed by Gossen to allow the use of # 357 or SR-44 batteris in place of the old 625 batteries. The adapter also includes Voltage reduction circuitry to drop the voltage down to the correct levels needed by the meter. The silver oxide batteries have a much longer life than the hearing aid batteries and the Wein Cells. At $38.95 it is a little pricey, but it works perfectly and the first pair of batteries is included.

Hope this helps,

Mike

14. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    x2

15. Dane

Dane Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi guys! Thank you everyone for your replies, I really appreciate the input! Since I didn't feel like tossing out $40 for light meter that cost me $40, I went looking again for those posts I had seen about removing the washer from the battery.

And I found the thread! I may try the rubber o-ring method mentioned on page 2.

Also, on a note, I did find it pretty easy to remove the washers from the old batteries that were in it, but I'm not sure what size new-battery they would require.

This is kind of fun actually. I like working and researching vintage items :smile:

16. Brian Legge

Brian Legge Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I taped together a pair SR44 batteries and recalibrated the meter. Its probably no where near as accurate as it could be but its worked well enough for me so far.

17. Peter Simpson

Peter Simpson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  18. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The rubber o-ring size (to replicate the 625 battery) is a #9. Works well in many devices as long as the device doesn't rely on electrical contact with the side of the battery.

I've seen (and have) metal washers. They do allow electrical contact on the side (here's one example: http://www.paulbg.com/Nikon_F_meter_batteries.htm) I believe Jon Goodman's adapter is more than just a ring; his design might be preferable.

I have one of the adapters made by de Gruijter. It was a bit cheaper when I bought it (but everything was cheaper than). It, like the Gossen adapter, is the "best" solution as it uses silver oxide batteries.

The limited life of the zinc air battery can be an issue. I think it somewhat depends on how much you use the meter. If very infrequently, you can try recovering the holes with electrical tape. That supposedly inhibits the chemical reaction and lengthens their life. If you use the meter every day, then it's fine to use the zinc air. They're inexpensive and you'll get good use out of them. It's the middle ground, where you end up getting relatively little use out of the battery before it dies, that I find awkward.

19. Dane

Dane Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello.

Back to report on what I've found out so far. I got the 675's and I WAS able to press the old metal rings right onto them no problem. I then zero'd the meters (2 different luna pro meters) and placed the batteries inside one at at time. It is late at night here, so I was only able to test it in the low light settings, but both meters were giving me the same readings and my EI 200 tested nikon D300 was rendering perfect low light incident and reflective meterings, also the spot adapter worked perfectly.

My mind would like to think that because this was low light, that normal sunlight will be perfect as well, but we will have to wait till morning and see. I am hopeful though.

P.S. Couldn't find any o-rings labeled #9

20. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any of the solutions here will work. Washer,O-ring or commercial adapter. The advantage to the commercial unit is that it drops the voltage to the correct working voltage the meter was designed for.

21. djhg

djhg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    675s not enough?

I've put 2 just-bought 675 hearing aid batteries with a tin foil spacer between them (a horseshoe so the bottom battery can breathe) into my Lunasix (it's my fathers actually - an heirloom. But I don't think it's been used for decades) I'm experiencing two anomalies:

1) the battery check shows only about halfway to the red mark.

2) In evening light conditions, sun still up, I'm getting an EV of 15.5 when the high scale is activated, but 8 with the low scale activated. It seems to me that it should be off the scale on one of them if it's behaving properly. I think in these conditions the High scale was reading correctly.

Is something out of whack? What I'm hoping to do is firstly start using the meter right away, and secondly to vet the meter's functioning to see if it's worth getting the cylinder/resistor battery adapter from B&H.

22. djhg

djhg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    By adjusting the battery connections I got the battery meter to read sufficient charge, and now the only anomaly is that it reads consistently a stop too high (campared with a camera store's latest and greatest) in all lighting conditions.

I plan to order the adapter cylinder, in the hopes that will solve the problem, and if not that I can recalibrate it.

Again, any suggestions please let me know, thanks.

23. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why dump any more $ on this relic? The adapters are over 40 bucks and you've still got an old meter with iffy accuracy. For not much more, you could snag a new-ish Sekonic L-398m off the big auction site. They're closing for $50-60.

24. snapshot2000

snapshot2000 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the B&H adapter on mine and it works flawlessly. I really do like the meter and spent the $$ because I had two of them. Only one left now - one of the meters fell out of my bag onto the living room floor and burst apart. :-( I agree though, that you may as well just get something a little newer.