Gossen Profisix -or- New light meter

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by baachitraka, Apr 24, 2012.

1. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gossen profisix looks excellent with the scale for SBR. BTZS books explains how to measure the same, which I would to experiment. But this meter is rather old and I am concerned about its age, reliability, the battery it takes and its serviceability in the future.

What other meters do you recommend? At the same time, I am not looking for a spot-meter which is quite expensive for me.

2. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Too old. If you just need incident/reflected readings, the Sekonic 308 is nice and goes for around $125-150 used; the older 328 is usually around $75-100 used. Reliable, tough, accurate, powered by a single AA. Film and processing are getting too pricey to bother with battery/accuracy/reliability issues whatever an old meter's reputation.

3. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The PP3 9volt battery for the Profisix is freely available, the accuracy isn't a problem and it's a fine meter, but I've retired my Profisix because my modern digital meters are better.

4. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the Profisix is a very good choice with its long-lasting battery, the sturdiness, the various accessories (among them a semi-spot attachment) but most of all the low-light capabilities. If you prefer incident metering, the Sekonic L-308 or L-358 are nice, new meters. Both of these can do reflective metering also.

I prefer needle and scale compared to a digital readout, but that is highly personal.

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you are based at least part of the time in Germany, I would suggest that you enquire about servicing issues with Gossen.

My Profisix (Lunapro SBC in the USA) recently died after about 30 years of excellent service. I had a new Digiflash to fall back on, so didn't replace it, but I would have otherwise considered either having it repaired or replacing it.

If you shoot with flash, the flash reading alternative is worth considering (Lunapro F in the USA). You lose some of the extended low light sensitivity though with that meter.

And in case it isn't clear from the posts above, the Profisix and Lunapro F use the 9 volt battery that, at least in North America, can be found everywhere.

6. baachitraka

baachitraka Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Smudger

Smudger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My understanding is that Gossen provide servicing for their products. You are likely to be disappointed with the low-light sensitivity of the digital meters.
    The Profisix is hard to beat in that department.

8. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is untrue, I've had a Profisix for about twenty five years I also have three modern digital meters a Gossen Digi Pro, a Sekonic L-358, and a Kenko KFM 2100 (formally Minolta Auto meter V1), and they will all read light down to around the same level as the Profisix, down to -2EV with 100 I.S.O..

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2012