Got myself a Durst 1200 + CLS501

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by chioque, Mar 21, 2011.

1. chioque

chioque Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Today, I managed to get my hands on a Durst Laborator 1200 + CLS501 head locally, from a seller who's gone 100% 'lightroom'. The stuff came with all the Femoboxes, negative carriers, AN glasses, etc EXCEPT a baseboard. The seller used the enlarger wall-mounted and only has the wall-mount bracket for it.

All in all I paid equivalent to $800, which, IMHO, is not too bad considering I would have to pay at least half of that amount in shipping alone, if I were to buy from overseas. But man.. it's HUGE. I'm still not sure how it'll fit into my temporary darkroom. Or most importantly, what excuses to give to the 'Finance Minister' at home :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  2. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Congratulations with the buy, it is a great enlarger. I have a Durst L1200 with Ilford Multigrade head, just for BW, but it has proven "solid" investment as well. About the base board: ensure you get some really(!) solid and strong support. It is a beast at maybe 30-40kg, and can easily bend any tabletops not designed for that kind of weight. I had to reinforce my initial setup with another 2cm thick wooden plate on top of the original one to prevent it from bending down.

3. chioque

chioque Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2011
  4. Marco B

Marco B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's correct, and even with these two table tops on top of each other, and some supports directly under the enlarger attached to the wall in the back, it still has some tendency to bend...

Should have reinforced it with metal H-beams... anyway, it is stable enough now to work with it.

5. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about mounting to a very large laminated cutting board. I have one that is 24"x36"x1-1/2"thick. I made mine from gluing 2x6's on edge.