Got some Sensia 100 cheap at the Ritz Camera closeout. What should I know?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by TheOtherEast, May 25, 2009.

1. TheOtherEast

TheOtherEast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've never shot with this film before, but it was a dollar a roll in the local Ritz that's going out of business so I grabbed some rolls. Anyone have some insight into this films strengths and weaknesses?

2. nickrapak

nickrapak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find it to be one of the ideal "all-around" slide films out there. Not overly saturated, neither too high nor too low contrast. If you haven't tried slide film yet, my best advice is to bracket all shots ± 2/3 to 1 stop on your first roll. Slide film has very little latitude, but luckily Sensia has greater latitude than several other slide films, good enough to use in a P&S.

3. TheOtherEast

TheOtherEast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'll have to go shoot some local raptors before I go chasing big game in Yellowstone this summer then.

4. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Its a more neutral film. I like it. I've found that its rather easy to expose if you avoid back lighting and uneven lighting. Have fun.

5. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Actually, I have to say that I feel that Sensia is the best film produced by Fuji.

6. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A great film, and one of my favorites for mid day shooting. Sensia used to be the same as Astia. I don't know if this still holds true.

7. jvan01

jvan01 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sensia has rather wide exposure latitude for a slide film. I have not experienced blocked up shadows or blown highlights with it, and it tolerates overexposure more easily than Provia or Velvia.

It's a favorite film for crossprocessing, judging by by how many xpro Sensia images that are found on Flickr. I prefer shooting and developing it as transparency film.

8. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Where did you find it for sale? I knew Ritz camera filed for bankruptcy but I just called my closest Wolf camera and asked them if any of their film was on sale and they said no.

9. StorminMatt

StorminMatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I can get a roll of Kodachrome 64 cheaper locally than what my local Ritz wants for a roll of Sensia 100. No wonder they are going out of business!

10. Darkroom317

Darkroom317 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lucky, when I went in to a Ritz camera store a couple weeks ago they wanted $20 for a roll of elite-chrome. The guy behind then found out that is was expired. Instead of selling it to me for a lower price, he decided to return it to Kodak. At my local camera store they give me the film for free if it is expired.

11. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    One of my local Wolf cameras did the same thing to me with some expired Fuji 100 print film. Said he was going to send it back to Fuji, when I asked if I could get it for a discount. I went back a couple weeks later and the same package was back on the shelf.

12. TheOtherEast

TheOtherEast Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I laughed at this, because when everything was still at "normal" prices at the beginning of the closing I told the clerk that exact same thing.