graded paper and colour head

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by andreios, Apr 4, 2013.

1. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,
    I'd like to ask for help with my little problem - I am using a Phillips PCS 130 (or some such number) enlarger - it is not the best thing I think for multigrade printing, but works quite well and I am now used to it. Now, I have some remaining stock of graded paper (Fomabrom 111) - at what grade should I print this? I mean, in my old meopta (which I have sold due to lack of space in my tiny darkroom) I simply took out the filter of course, but here?
    Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

A.

2. polyglot

polyglot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doesn't matter, it will come out at its fixed grade no matter how you setup the enlarger. Adding filtration (especially yellow) in the enlarger head will just make your exposures longer.

3. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Most colour heads will have a lever or switch for (temporarily) turning off the filters, if not, perhaps 0C 0Y 0M?

4. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. Set all filters to 0.

5. andreios

andreios Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you all! Will try that - but the Philips enlarger doesn't work with C - M - Y, but R, G, B values - should be the same. I hope. :smile:

6. yellowcatt

yellowcatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Philips uses an additive system, rather than moving the filters into the light path it had three lamps with fixed filters and the control unit changes the intensity of each lamp.

I would try turning all lamps up to maximum. Though I am not sure if the lamp with the red filter will havr much effect on the B&W paper.

7. RH Designs

RH Designs Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed, set maximum on all three channels. The red will have negligible effect on the exposure but it should make the light whiter and brighter which may be helpful when composing and focussing.

8. yellowcatt

yellowcatt Member

Shooter:
    35mm