Graflex Crown/Speed/Super Graphic Ownership?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BradS, Dec 28, 2008.

Own or use a Graflex Crown/Speed or Super Graphic?

1. No..Never understood why anybody would want one.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. never owned or used one.

12.7%
  3. Used one at work / military

2.4%
  4. owned one less than a year.

10.0%
  5. own/owned one but don't/didn't use it much

24.3%
  6. own onw e or more and use 'em often.

48.6%
  7. Collector. own many use few or not at all.

2.0%
  1. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I wonder how many people have owned or currently own a Graflex Crown, Speed or Super graphic.....

Also interested in how frequently it is / was used....

2. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Here! A really nice Crown:smile: and a Speed. They get used in spurts. In the last year I've probably run 20-30 sheets through each.

3. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Man that was fast! I have a beatup side RF Crown from around 1952 and use it regularly.

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i have a 54 pacemaker speed, and use it pretty often,
    i owned an older speed as a back up, and sold it to a friend a few years ago
    and was gifted a crown by a dear friend, and i loaned it to a friend in need.

they are great cameras!

john

5. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a '54 Pacemaker Speed, and use it not so much any more, although I used to quite a bit. My favorite 4x5 pix that I have taken were done with this camera. They are versatile workhorses. Even the ones that are beat to piss can be used. I will be using it PLENTY in the next six moths due to a certain project. I will be using it with an RH10 back for the project. It is the closest thing I have to a 4x5 field camera. A Tachihara some day, but for now the Speed will do. I am always on the lookout for a 2x3 clone of my 4x5. I want it to be a Pacemaker with a Graflok back, side Kalart RF, top VF. I don't mind the weight of the Speed vs. the Crown, and find the rear shutter to be a useful feature.

6. ricksplace

ricksplace Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    '29 Pre-Anny 4X5 speed with the dreaded "graflex" back (I love it), Pacemaker 4X5 Speed with a graflock back, , and a Century Graphic (2X3). Had the pre-anny out today.

7. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Super Graphic.
    I am not using it as much as I would like.

8. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Crown Graphic. My favorite camera ever since I bought it 2 years ago.

9. spb854

spb854 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I've used it a few times with Polaroid 55 film.
    I have a Grafmatic loaded with TMax 400 waiting to use it. Plan to process the
    film in Jobo processor. Will be interesting to see how I do.

Steve

10. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Early Pacemaker Speed, side-mounted kalart and graflok back. Used mostly with a petzval, 7.5" kodak anastigmat and 10" kodak ektanon.
    Also have a near-mint late pacemaker crown with 135mm congo. That's the handheld one.
    Though I can use the speed handheld, I've calibrated the rangefinder to the 7.5" anastigmat.

Love these cameras.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Two Speeds 1 pre-Anniversary WA Special, & a Pacemaker with no shutter, and a Pacemaker Crown Graphic. They get used when I have to shoot 5x4 hand held (tripods are often prohibited at many places I shoot).

Given a choice I'd prefer the newer Super Graphics which were released to try & compete with the far better featured Linhof's & MPP's.

Ian

12. rusty_tripod

rusty_tripod Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would like to own one some day. That was not on the list.

13. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forgot to mention that I have two storage crates full of flashbulbs. My reflector is the 5 in. right angled bayonet one. Unfortunately, I used up all the clear Press 25s and GE #5s and am left only with the blue ones. They have a lower guide number, and I don't like to waste the blue ones on black and white film. The rest of the bulbs are larger. There are some GE #11s (the most common bulbs used in the large 7 in. screw base reflector), some that are the size of household light bulbs, and some that are larger. I also have a couple of teeny bayonet base modeling lights. All of this stuff came with the Speed kit. Niiiice.

I need to stock up on clear Press 25/GE #5s...or get a 7 in. reflector and start using the #11s. Or maybe I'll just tape a wee stack of paper plates to the back of my flashgun. :D

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My first was a post-war Speed Graphic with the side mounted kalart which got used on a tripod with hot lights and handheld with bulb flash. I've since bought another couple of Speeds (added a 178 Aero Ektar to one of those) and a Super Graphic, all 4x5. The original Speed still gets used the most although I hope to take the Super Graphic out into the field soon.

I stocked up on bulbs whenever I could get them cheaply and have used smaller ones (M2/M3/M5) in adapters with reasonable results.

16. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speed Graphics 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 and a Crown Graphic 4x5. All with flash guns and a supply of bulbs. One of the Speeds has a 178 Aero Ektar as well.
    Also a supply of Tri X film packs for the 2x3 and 3x4 sizes.
    Gord

17. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Crown Graphic 4x5, graflok back, flash guns - yesterday scored big on a Graflarger - yippee, bought it for myself for xmas (G.A.S.) - been looking for one forever, it seems!!! Cost from going from MF to LF is astounding! Haven't mastered it yet, but once I do, I plan on using it big time. These cameras are being gobbled up, since I bought mine 1 1/2 years ago the price has tripled. 6.50 a piece for bulbs - woof - anyone aware of quirks I should know about? My first batch looks like I might have some leakage in the film holders.

2F/2F - you got way more bulbs than you need! Gimme, Gimme - ha ha! j/k

18. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Brad - looks like the makings of a Group! - Cheers.

19. pgomena

pgomena Member

I owned a Crown with a Schneider 135mm for about 3 years and traded up to a view camera. This was more than 25 years ago. I miss the lens but not the lack of camera movements. It was a good starter camera that was light and portable.

Peter Gomena

20. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Super and Anny... and only a couple of shoe boxes of bulbs, none of which gets as much use as I'd really like!

21. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

I guess that would fit into the second category.

22. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am impressed at the results so far. Looks like lots of folks shooting Graphics out there. Cool.

I guess I thought there'd be a whole bunch more people who bought one, used it for a while and moved on....

23. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have not used it heavily for a while, because I have been messing with so many other cameras for the kind of stuff I am shooting, and because I no longer have access to a 4x5 enlarger! I am taking it to the grave with me, however! I will always think of the Speed as one of my main "keeper" axes, along with my Canon FD stuff. They are super well built, easy to use, versatile, and as an added plus, they are built in America by Americans...the only great American camera that I own, the others being a few Brownies, a B&J Grover, and an Eastman No. 2. 5x7. The latter two are good, but not great. Not anywhere near the level of design and build of the Graflex.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2008
  24. pnance

pnance Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You left off the Graphic View... I still use mine.

25. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

:confused::confused::confused:
    ...the graphic view isn't a press camera...

26. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The closest thing I have to any of the above is a Graflex Model D 3x4, with the long bellows. I have a 6x9 rollfilm back for it and a recently acquired 12-sheet Grafmatic bag-mag. Someday I'm going to do a project with the rig, but I don't currently trust the roller-blind shutter, so the camera sits at the moment. I've got enough 4x5 sheet film that I'm not using that I could cut it down on my rotary cutter and not have to worry about getting film the right size.