Graflex Film Pack Adapter?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Jun 7, 2009.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What exactly is a Graflex Film Pack Adapter? Is it for Instant pack films?

2. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, it was for Kodak pack film -- sheets of thin negative material in a cardboard pack.

3. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just asked over at apug.org as I've been given several.
    Yup, their worthless. Rats.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

This is APUG :D

5. kpuls

kpuls Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am interested in a fim pack adapter for 4x5 graflex series D, would you be interested in selling or trading?

6. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm interested. Please send me the Series D and upon reciept I will gladly send you a pack film adapter. PM me for an address.

7. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    kpuls

was there a film pack adapter for the series D ?
    do you mean a bag mag(azine) ?

i am not sure if you have tried this, or wish to use roll film,
    but you can just TAPE the roll film adapter
    to the back of the camera, it will probably work just fine ( i do that ) ..

john

8. Phillip P. Dimor

Phillip P. Dimor Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Not completely worthless. It is possible to convert them to hold glass plates.
    Particularly if you have a pack of the film as it contains a spacer to provide the proper depth..

Actually, I think that it's a neat way of doing wetplate with a speed (or other camera) in theory.

I haven't tried mine out yet as I lack the funds for wet or dry plate but would love to try it.

It's a shame that pack film isn't available anymore, i've used a few packs and it is the greatest thing there is... Seriously the most convenient stuff.. so fast and easy to use. It's a shame.. Screw grafmatics and readyloads.. Give me a stack of pack films...

9. dwdmguy

dwdmguy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Phillip, that's an interesting idea. Do you have any resources where I could learn to do plate work?
    Thanks
    Tom

10. k_jupiter

k_jupiter Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you were to have a Graflex camera without a ground glass back, you could make a ground glass that would fit inside the film pack. The back swings open and you use it for comp and focus on that camera. I have thought of using this set up for checking the focus on my rb graflex.

tim in san jose

11. Mark Tweed

Mark Tweed Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm planning to fabricate something similar to Tim's idea for my 2X3 Century. I use Horseman rollfilm backs exclusively with my Century, so in place of the heavier, cast metal, spring-loaded ground glass that came with the camera, I'm looking to take a film-pack back, remove the hinged cover, grind down the depth of the case a bit and mount a ground-glass + fresnel lens inside (at the correct focusing plane of course). The thin metal casing of these film-pack backs are very lightweight, providing a way to shave some ounces off the weight of these cameras. I don't need a protector for the ground glass as my padded camera case provides that function. The pop-out shade that attaches to the original spring ground-glass back isn't much use for me as I employ a traditional dark cloth for focusing.

I've modified my Century so that the front standard tilts forward to allow greater depth of field with all of my lenses (65mm, 105mm, 165mm & 240mm), a mini view camera if you will. With a few filters, lens hoods and a miniscule Metered Light spot meter and the whole package fits in Lowe case not much bigger than a 6-pack of Coke.

So, re-purpose those film-pack backs.

Mark

12. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is useful information, as I have been seriously looking into doing dry plate with my speed.