Graflex Shutter Repair (Need Someone)

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by viewcameranut, Nov 8, 2011.

1. viewcameranut

viewcameranut Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have an Graflex Home Portrait Camera in need of an CLA. The shutter fires sporadically and speeds are way off when it does. The shutter curtains look good and do not need replacing. Does anyone repair them here on the forums or know of anyone reliable? Please send me an pm if you do. Thanks in advance, Mike C.

2. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well there's Fred Lustig who's been repairing them for a long time and he wound up with a lot of the original factory parts. A Google search also comes up with a variety of others who do repairs. There is also some online info for dealing with tensioning the shutters if you look. I unfortunately don't have the link on this computer. Basically you unscrew the plate where you set the tension and turn it to tension the shutter. Make sure that the curtain is un-wound as far as it can go. I have seen where people have wound the curtain backwards somehow and all that was required was to wind it the right way.

3. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At graflex.org Bert Saunders is a retire Graflex/Graphics repairman with 26 years at Graflex. He used to repair cameras sent to him. He no longer repairs cameras due to health issues, however if you contact him at bsaunders1@bak.rr.com and he will direct and coach you through the repair via email. I have learned to repair and build shutter from him via email.

Steve