Graflite - junk or worth selling it?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by DLM, Jun 10, 2010.

1. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm trying to work my way through a large lot of darkroom and photo equip. that I picked up on Craigslist a couple weeks back. I came across a few Graflex Graflite items, and don't really know if they are something someone would use or not. I'm tempted to just throw them in with the thrift store donations, but they might end up putting them in the trash not knowing what they are. That auction site seems to show some selling, and others not selling even for really cheap. Are they worth the effort? Or are they worth maybe keeping myself?

2. chrism

chrism Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Star Wars geeks turns them into lightsabers, so they have some value for that purpose.

You can list auctions starting at .99 cents now for free and pay only if it sells, so theres really no risk in putting them up.

3. DLM

DLM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ha, I read about the lightsaber thing a while back when I googled them, but didn't know if that was still a "thing" for them. Kinda weird, but oh well. I might just put em up once to see if they sell, but I'm moving in a couple weeks and gotta get the darn things gone.

4. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 2 of them and was thinking about posting them in the classifieds here and on LFF just to see if anyone is interested. There might be someone who wants one for a collection but doubt if anyone would use them today. George Lucas used them as light sabers in the Star Wars films so people might buy them for that reason alone.
    Price? Who knows maybe $10?
    Edit, you guys beat me to the punch!

5. nyoung

nyoung Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    PM me with a list of what you have, I could make you an offer.

6. Lionel1972

Lionel1972 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd be interested in one of those since I have an Anniversary Speed Graphic without Graflite and would happy to have one on it just for the classic look. I'm in France though, so I would need it to be really cheap as the shipping will be already a bit costy. Do them come with a reflector? Pictures of them would be nice. Thanks.

7. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not making a sales pitch here just providing info. No reflectors on the ones I have. Just the handle and brackets so they are not complete. Also I believe these were for a Century 2x3 and have different brackets than the ones for the Anniversary. I will take pictures and post them in the classifieds here just for fun in a few days to see the response. DLM you should do the same so we can really confuse people.:smile:

8. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have several Graflites which I use along with my Pacemaker Speed Graphic. I only use this setup on special occasions such as photographing my cat. For some reason, when I get the camera out and put a Press 40 bulb in the Graflite, my cat now hides under the bed. Kinda wierd.

9. paul ewins

paul ewins Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    FWIW, the correct flash for the lightsaber is the early shiny chrome 3 cell flash, not the later satin chrome graflite version. In either case eBay (or the classifieds here) is probably the right place if you don't want them, they would be a little too esoteric for your average thrift store customer.

10. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have one of the early chrome 3 cell units as well but am keeping it to match my Anni. The other 2 will be posted here in the near future just because I have too much stuff, not so much for the money.

11. Wade D

Wade D Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Poor kitty is probably half blind from that experience.:D

12. djacobox372

djacobox372 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, and for the vader saber = 3 cell heiland with large screw in bulb top.

13. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If either of you guys wants to sell one cheap just to unload it, I'm interested. Just want it for the period look really, so it needs to have a reflector. I have a later model Crown 4x5.

Would be nice if it were also functional if I ever decide to scrounge some bulbs and kill some cats...

:tongue:

Ken

14. Christopher Nisperos

Christopher Nisperos Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice stuff if you can get them working

15. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Please use these items responsibly. Lightsabers are dangerous weapons and Graflex Inc. and Heiland Research, or any parent company or subsidiary, will NOT be held liable for injury, death or damage caused by the misuse of their products.

:munch:

16. C A Sugg

C A Sugg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A while back I remember some outfit reproducing these, mainly for the Jedi wannabees. About $100 a pop? I don't know if they actually worked.
    Charles

17. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I can use one with a 5" reflector on my Pacemaker Speed. PM me with offers.

Steve

18. mopar_guy

mopar_guy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the interest of providing information on the availability of these flash guns I will try to respond.

I believe that the company making the reproductions of the original Graflex flash is called Park Sabers. An internet search should turn them up. I have never seen one of these units but they were a fairly close copy from what I heard.

A few years ago (when George Lucas was releasing his second series of Movies), the site Graflex.org was crashed by a high volume of young people who were posting and asking members to sell them a Graflex flash for cheap. Most of the "regulars" over at Graflex.org are elderly gentlemen who honestly try to help with questions and promote the use of Graflex cameras. This situation has resulted in some hard feelings on the subject at that website.

Probably the best place to find a Graflex flash, Graflite or HR bulb flash would be eBay, but the wanna-be jedi crowd has made prices quite high.