Grafmatic Question

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Fotoguy20d, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just picked up 3 grafmatics on the auction site. They all have film in them and were locked on X when I got them. Because of that, I'm guessing the film is exposed (since they'd probably be on 1 if they were freshly loaded). Is this a good assumption - I suppose I could just take one sheet out of each and process them to see.

Dan

2. edtbjon

edtbjon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's a clever guess. At least I wouldn't reshoot the films.

//Björn

3. Stewart Skelt

Stewart Skelt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The alternative is that someone went to the trouble of operating the Grafmatics six times without taking any images. Doesn't seem likely.

4. erikg

erikg Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That could be possible, I think. Why do you care about 18 sheets of mystery film? Could be fogged already.

5. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Wow what a find! Maybe you will get some really cool found images you could share with us. Does the film have edge marks so you can find out what it is?

6. msage

msage Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Are you sure this film in them or assuming because it is on "X"? You can manually turn the counter to any number you what. If the holders have been handled by a number of people before you bought them, who knows.

7. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Grafmatics are all marked with month and year (which is 2002) and film type, which is TMax. I fogged the first frame in one Grafmatic by assuming they were empty. At this point I know they're all loaded. The seller claimed this was his father's gear and he used it until he got sick a few years ago. So, I'm going to assume the film type and dates are accurate. Besides, all the stuff (Crown Graphic, 3 lenses, etc) is so clean I have to imagine he was the sort to mark things accurately. It's worth processing the film to see what comes out. Not as exciting as 50+ year old film but at least I can be pretty sure of there being something there and knowing how to process it.

Dan