Grain focuser do I need one?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Curlypengling, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. jim10219

jim10219 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You'll most likely still want to reprint those in a year or two anyway, once you have gained more experience. There's always something that can be done better.

I'm not advocating never buying a grain focuser. I'm just saying that in the beginning, if money is tight, you might be better off saving your money and buying a decent one when the time is right, rather than wasting $30 on one you're only going to replace soon anyway. In the beginning, what you need most is more experience, not more debt and/or cheap gear. If the OP had said money wasn't a concern, then I would have suggested differently. But when money is tight, it's best to save up and buy quality stuff, so you're only buying once.

3. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    a gran focuser is useful to obtain critical focus but you don't need to spend much.Get one wiyh a higher magnification(10-25x).Magnasight?is good value for money.Peak makes high-quality focusers, which can see all the way into the corner of a negative but they are very expensive and if you can make sure that the neg is flat between glass, focusing on the center is just fine.

4. Fin

Fin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ^ That

5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Yes you need a grain focusser. As well as the advantages cited in the preceding posts, it will let you know when you are beginning to lose definition due to diffraction in the enlarging lens at small apertures.

6. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

It's best to learn to do things properly at the outset, rather than acquire bad habits that take time and effort to overcome.

7. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very true but you will want one eventually

8. guangong

guangong Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A grain focuser makes focusing both faster and easier. Why struggle? Every link in the chain from exposure to final mounted print is important and every link should be as strong as possible. Be somewhat skeptical of those who claim to possess the eyes of a hawk. And even the premium grain focusers are pretty cheap nowadays.