Graphic Film Back Adapter

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bruce Osgood, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Bush Pressman that is due to arrive Wednesday will include a number of 4X5 film holders and a Graphic Film Back Adapter.

I am assuming this adapter is to adapt the camera back to 4X5 sheet film loads of a number of films.
    Is this a correct assumption?

There will be no instructions for the camera or the adapter so I will be at a complete loss as to how to use it.... I won't know if parts are missing or what parts should be there. Nor do I have any idea how to load it.
    Is there a web site or source to learning the loading and use of this adapter?

Thanks for any advice.

2. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If its a Graflex Graphic adapter back, you might try Graflex.org They are a wealth of information on all things Graflex.

3. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hi bruce

according to the graflex.org website pack film is no longer available.
    your film pack adapter was made to use 16 sheet "film packs". from what i remember the film base was really thin, and it liked to curl a bit.

at this point the adapter is kind of an obsolete item, unless places like j and c photo are importing film packs, or you can find them at filmforclassics.com.

http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/accessories.html

have fun with the new camera!

-john

4. bobfowler

bobfowler Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was a guy selling Tri-X film packs on eBay a while back that were allegedly frozen since new (something like a 1978 expiration date). He claims that there is only a little fog build up, but I have my doubts about that! :smile:

5. Bruce Osgood

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks All,
    I think this is not going to be of any use. I'll put it in a display cabinet.

6. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Was that a "film back adapter" or a "film pack adapter"? The former might be a Graflok back, which will come in real handy for using Grafmatics. If you have never used a Grafmatic you are in for a treat. 6 shots in the space of two film holders; change film in a wink, automatic numbering of each frame. I own half a dozen and they are the bomb!
    On the other hand if it was "film pack adapter" you have an interesting artifact of a bygone era. Either way, enjoy!

7. Bruce Osgood

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Alas, it is a film PACK adapter, with 4 film packs that expired in 1976. When bidding on the camera I was hoping it would turn out to be a Grafmatic, but the seller was very accurate in his listing. Right now I'm using the 7 film holders that also came in the package.

Once I feel I have the film loading/unloading, camera setup, focusing, exposure and film processing under control, I would like to explore further the Grafmatic back.