*Graphic options for both Polaroid and sheet film

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by mabman, Dec 11, 2007.

1. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I asked this in my x-ray film thread, but without a response, and as it's only tangentally related anyway, I'll post it in a separate topic.

If, for sake of argument, I wanted to use a Polaroid back in any one of the 4x5 Graphic-branded cameras with a view to using sheet film as well at some point, which Graphic camera would work, with which back and/or other options? I'd probably like a rangefinder as well, at least initially.

I've been doing some reading, and I'm getting confused with the Speed/Crown/Anniversary/Pacemaker/?? types as well as the spring/Graphlock backs, and what supports what exactly...

Thanks for your patience with an LF wannabe :smile:

2. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What you need is a Graflok back, recognizable by the sliding locks at top and bottom. The other backs are the Graflex, with one sliding lock at the top, used mainly on the Graflex SLRs, and the Graphic, or spring back, common on earlier Speed Graphics. For the most part, Graflok backs are found on the Pacemaker Speed and Crown Graphics, while the earlier versions usually have spring backs. More info is here http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/features.html.

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    They all support Polaroid backs and standard sheet film holders and Grafmatics.

You need a Graflok back only for rollfilm holders that don't slip under the glass or if you want to use the Polaroid holder or a Grafmatic holder without the groundglass panel in place (i.e., focusing exclusively with the rangefinder).

The Graflex reflex cameras often have a Graflex back (as opposed to a Graphic back, which is just a normal back), which is wider than the standard back that is common today, and requires special filmholders.

4. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    If you are talking about the Polaroid 545, it works with any 4x5 camera that takes cut film holders (which is all of them), including all the Graflock and Graphic backs. Hop over to fee bay and surf one up. You'll see it is made to just slip in place like a film holder. You'll love type 55.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2007
  5. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You forgot to mention the Super Graphic which was a late model metal body model. I have one, very nice. It has a rotating graflok back.

6. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I assumed the OP meant the 405 pack film holder.

7. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mabmam?

8. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I should have said most all of them, I wasn't thinking about the Graflex reflex as David mentioned.

9. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes.

10. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Which polaroid back were you thinking of?

11. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The 405, which won't fit under a spring back (I've tried), and of course won't fit on a Graflex back without some sort of modification or adapter. Is there a later model that will fit in a spring back?

12. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format

Sorry, I got mixed up. I thought you were mabmam. It would help if we understood which back he is refering to. I was as u me ing he meant the 545.

13. mabman

mabman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was thinking about the most recent (and I believe more commonly available currently) back, which is the 545 as far as I know.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that :smile:

- Mabman :smile:

14. JBrunner

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    In that case it will work with any camera that will take a 4x5 film holder, Graflock or not.