GREAT NEW WAY TO CARRY YOUR 8X10

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by michael9793, Mar 19, 2008.

1. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Okay it isn't a new way it is a updated way. I'm heading to Yosemite in 6 weeks and was planning on taking my 4x5 ebony, with readyloads. But after seeing the $$ of readyloads since the last time I purchased them I almost had a heart attack. So realizing I would have to go with holders ( this is on a plane not by car.) I started thinking of weight and using my 8x10 ebony.

Now what I had done with my 4x5 and 5 lens + holder for my ready loads I called Bruce at Photobackpackers and found that using a redwing pack and his modules would keep everything from dirt, mositure and dust away along with orginizing everthing. But changeing to film holders instead of ready loads would increase the weight so after replacing with 8 holders, the total weight was 21.5 lbs case and all equipment. This pack is outstanding and very protective.

BUT WHY NOT TAKE THE 8x10 IF YOU HAVE TO RELOAD FILM HOLDERS?
    1) weight and being 55 year old and work sitting down and not going to the gym, this makes carring anything in Yosemite important as long as weight is concerned.
    2) type if cases that have been used to this point. Not good back support. and hard to orginize non photo packs.

I went back to Bruces website only to find the main page has changed and he is using a Redwing pack for the 8x10. Not any Redwing pack, but a revised pack just for photo called the Redwing P1. He is also having P2 made. The same but heavier duty, better back support to. I will be able to place:

1) 8x10 Ebony
    2) wollemsak 300mm triple convertible lens on a 5.5 lens board (Sinar style)
    3) 165 mm Schniender wide angle same board
    4) 6- 8x10 holders + acessories
    Total weight 29.5 lbs
    Again everything is in a separate compartment sealed from the dirt.
    One added thing I could and may add one more lens depending if I can get a 210mm that will cover 8x10 at the right price.

About the Tripod. you can add it to the side of the pack but I tend to like to carry it on my shoulder, its a GT3540 Gitzo and very very light compared to my Ries tripods.
    Just thought I would share my experiences with you all I hope I helped some one
    regards
    Michael Andersen

2. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

Sounds like a good plan! Unless you're going on an extended hike, remember that most stuff in Yosemite Valley isn't going to be too far from the road and since you won't have a car, keep in mind that the public transportation within the valley is excellent. Even Glacier Point, Mariposa Grove and Tuolumne Meadows are served by public transportation.

Make sure there is room in that pack for plenty of mosquito dope! :smile:

3. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Don't carry all this stuff on your back!!!!!!!!!

Get a used 3-wheeled child jogging stroller designed for mom and dad athletes. Pack all your gear on it, and roll the stuff to wherever you want to go.

Get the type with full suspension.

Enough said.

4. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Sounds like you are all set! I just came back from Yosemite and I had a somewhat similar set-up that works fine, though closer to 45 pounds. I do have a 210mm with me...a nice light weight barrel lens. I use an off-the-shelf touring backpack. I occasionally have trouble with my lower back (I am a much younger 53) and I find that my lower back feels better with the pack on. I use a Reis pod (A series w/ double tilt head), and I put up with the extra weight because the pod also is a great climbing assist tool for when I am scrambling up and down the rocks.

One uses what one has...and modifies the set-up to match one's needs.

A cart is fine, but 95% of the places I explore a cart would be a hinderance. And I prefer not to leave footprints in fragile environments, if at all possible...leaving a set of tire tracks would be a bummer. So for me, that would limit a cart's use to paved and hard-packed trails...and for that I'd like to get an 8x10 camera-sized trailer for my bicycle!

We gave away our stroller we used for our triplets. I use to take the boys on 5 to 8 miles walks just about everyday....up creek beds, on hiking trails, on the beach and even the mall. I could have modified that puppy nicely!

vaughn

5. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great! That's the Way (in a backpack) that I carry my 8x10 Wehman, lenses, 8x10 film holders and carbon fiber tripod, etc.

6. TomWB

TomWB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In 6 weeks you can make some improvement in your condition using simple body weight exercises like pushups, squats, sit ups, walking etc. Speaking as a current 48 yo couch potato, ex-athlete. Sounds like a fun trip, though. Tom

7. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Look for an older, single coated, Fujinon-W. The older lenses have the lens data inscribed on the front element retaining ring (where as the new ones have it inscribed around the outside of the front cell.) It will cover 8x10 with room for movements.

Ed

8. Jim Fitzgerald

Jim Fitzgerald Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Mike, have a great time in Yosemite. If you have a car or hotel room you can reload there. I was with Vaughn in Yosemite and I have an REI travel pack for the 8x10. It carries a lot. I usually have 4-5 lenses 6 holders and all the other stuff you need and I can do 3-5 miles in a day. It comes in at about 40 lbs. I'm 5'6" and 57. Still in decent shape but need to step it up a bit for the 8x20 and 11x14 that will go on my back next time. You can do some squats with weights in the time you have. It will really help.
    I ran into Bruce at Muir Woods last year and he wanted to see the pack I had. He makes great packs for us and at the time he told me that the 8x10 and larger packs were on the drawing board. Have a great time and let us see some images from the trip.

Jim

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2008
  9. Nacio Jan Brown

Nacio Jan Brown Member

10. Deckled Edge

Deckled Edge Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Mike,
    I don't notice any mention of film-changing gear. The Lodge bathrooms all have windows, so it won't be a dark room. You'll burn through 12 sheets rather quickly, and will want to change film in the daylight hours as well. My personal recommendation is the Harrison tent--mid-sized for 8X10. Weighs 2+ lbs. but good in motel rooms and tailgates.

11. RoNinHeart

RoNinHeart Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Micheal, thanks for the mention of the Photobackpackers site, while I don't have a LF camera I have been toying with making some camera and lens wrap-like boxes. The site let me know I'm thinking in the right direction. I just got a order of neoprene to play with. Now if only I could find a clutter-free surface to work on.

And Nacio, I like the sherpa cart. I've been eying pet strollers on eBay. Right now I have a cheap second hand baby stroller with all the fabric stripped off, but it only does well on sidewalks.

Enjoy your travels!

12. Tim Boehm

Tim Boehm Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Photobackpacker's gear is first rate and Bruce is a super helpful guy. I should receive that new Kelty pack next week. Bruce say's it's fantastic for 8x10 gear. Anyway, I also have a wonderful Wehman 8x10 and it, the dark cloth and 1 reduction back fit into a Photobackpacker case. After talking with Bruce, 4 or 5 of my lenses should also fit along with 5 8x10 and 5 5x7 holders, and the meter etc. I second the Harrision tent suggestion. I use the "jumbo" model which is made for 11x14; it provides plenty of room. I subdue the light, set it on a bed, pull up a chair and watch movies while changing film. Just remember to have all film loaded in the holders or reboxed before removing your arms. You can see a small tent here:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Harrison-Film-P...oryZ4200QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

13. jeroldharter

jeroldharter Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I bought a Photobackpacker pack and the accessories for 4x5 gear last year. Excellent stuff and great service. I had a defective cinch strap and I sent the pack back to him postage paid and he sent me a new pack immediately. I received in 2 days. I think the strap was an anomaly because the pack is very well constructed. Between the Photobackpacker pack and a large Pelican case I have most situations covered.

14. michael9793

michael9793 Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    I am working out and and hope to make this enjoyable. there are a couple of long hikes and since I'm going early May the high country will be closed. So the biggest hike could be Chilnualna falls which is a 7.5 round trip with a 3000 foot climb to the falls. I am limited to space since after the 4 days at Yosemite I have a business meeting at Napa the following week. If I was driving, alot more gear would be going with me, like the 8x20 and 11x14.
    The one thing I like the most about the Photobackpacker is the modules will keep dirt out. I photo in sand and dirt alot and when I go some where (Arizona) it is all dirt and sand. you can open your case and don't have to worry about anything because only the unit you open will be exposed. If raining everything will be protected till you open the unit you want. I'm thinking of setting one up for my hassey outfit too, since the pack I have for it is for a canon camera pack and doesn't feel very comfortable on my back. I have carried this one 3-5 miles and it weights 26 lbs. So one of these backs with the proper modules should be much more comfortable to carry.
    I didn't tell you I have a Harrison Jumbo tent that will be going with me.
    I also didn't indicate that the first day we are driving from SF to point lobos and spend the day there and then drive to Yosemite, for 3 days. I might be spreading this thin but just being at Point Lobos for a half a day I think be worth it.

mike a