Great Wall 2 1/4 SLR Camera Can you tell me about them?

Discussion in 'Lo-Fi Cameras' started by rknewcomb, Aug 25, 2011.

1. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi,
    Any users of the Great Wall 2 1/4 SLR camera? I've read about issues with them not have proper focus at infinity, the focus on the ground glass not matching up with the image that reaches the film and being difficult to load with modern film spools. In spite of all that I'm interested in them. Can anyone address any of these concerns from their experience. Do they work?
    Thank you!
    Robert N.

2. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    All I know of them is they are junk.

3. bblhed

bblhed Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't sugar coat it, come on and tell us how you really feel.

4. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My daughter loves shooting these kind of cameras..... with her .223 rifle.

5. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    They are really fun little cameras - the lens has a very interesting quality wide open. Think metal and glass Holga. My Great Wall's shutter had failed, and all exposures were at 1/8 I think.

It would make a very poor primary camera, but for something to play around with, maybe ....

6. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What Jeff says...Andrew Moxom has a modified Great Wall (not sure how he tinkered with it) but he'd have some insight into first-hand use of this camera.

7. xya

xya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Andrew mounted it in front of his Hasselblad with focal plane shutter. He's done some great work with it.

9. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Political views and comments on ammunition aside, I'd like to hear from people who have used one of these. I understand that it is not a prime camera for commercial use, but I thought it might be fun if it will actually focus and roll the film through it. Thanks for the link to the review. Love to hear from Andrew.
    thanks folks!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011
  10. rknewcomb

rknewcomb Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I read the information on the link provided by xya and found the thread by Andrew where he talks about his adventures with this camera lens and the hasselblad.
    Thanks for the help.
    Robert

11. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't know anything about the cameras but IIRC there is a member with a user name of mayfair who has posted some really wonderful images in the gallery using one. Search the gallery and send them a PM.

12. sfadam

sfadam Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    i have one of these cameras. i believe its the third version. it is very basic, but the later ones come with more "desirable" features like a self timer and a flash shoe

the lens is really wonderful. killer bokeh and great range of depth of field effects can be obtained. as for sharpness stopped down, i believe the lens on my pearl river tlr (probably made in the same factory as the great wall?) is a lot sharper

the camera has a very unusual shutter/mirror combination. the mirror is actually part of the shutter. the problem arises in cocking the shutter (which flips the mirror up). to select your shutter speed you pull the knob out, rotate it to the speed, and let it drop back down. then you twist the knob to raise the mirror and cock the shutter. if you want to change speeds after you've cocked the shutter, you can't. sounds like maybe not a big deal, but its burned me on many occasions.

the problem is the rest of the camera. it's metal, so its not flimsy enough that if you drop it that it will shatter, but the knobs and buttons on it are really cheap. the shutter button fell off mine, and the cover on the wind knob fell off also

as for loading film, i've not had a problem. apparently there were kits made for these to adapt it to all kinds of film... 35mm, 828 (i think) and a 645 mask. i never see these products anywhere.

i will say that i love it.. but DONT overpay. the prices usually seen on ebay are outrageous

also:
    i dont know where you live, but older chinese people, especially those that lived in china in the 60s, 70s will recognize the camera. i took it to chinatown in san francisco once, not even thinking about it. soooo many people were really happy/enthusiastic to see it!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2011