Green Fog in film

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by shicks5319, Jun 9, 2004.

1. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am having trouble with a batch Delta 100 purchased via mail order from B&H.

I am processing the film in Ilford Ilfortec HC (1+4) in a completely dark setting. My water temps are slightly high 72 to 74 degrees F but I am adjusting for that via Ilford's specs.

The film exhibits a heavy fog base the color of army green.

I am wondering if anyone else has had this happen and found the source of the problem. I have contacted B&H and they are not aware of any problems in shipping - this particular shipment came via UPS 0- 2nd day.

Thanks for your consideration on this matter.

2. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What kind of shape is your fixer in? Colors like that are either dichroic fog or unfixed halides. Both can be caused by waek fixer or a weak or ineffective stop or water wash between steps.

3. Jorge Oliveira

Jorge Oliveira Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I agree with Gary - looks like a fixer problem.
    And refix in fresh fixer quickly - or the new fix will not last long.

Jorge O

4. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    years ago when tmax developer first came out i was advised to use tmax instead of "tmax rs" to process my 4x5 negatives. i got a mysterious greenish metalic "stain" on all my films. it was a "dichroic fog" (sorry if i spelled it wrong). the folks at kodak didn't know how to get rid of it and told me to throw away all my negatives ( GO KODAK! ). paul krot at sprint chemistry in pawtucket rhode island told me what to do. i mixed farmers reducer (potassium ferrocyanide with his fixer dilute 2:8). i put the film in hangers, let it sit for about 15 seconds and then washed ... if they were still fogged i repeated until it was gone. this eventually got rid of it.

i am not sure if you have the same green stains, or if farmers reducer will help you out. if re-fixing your film doesn't work it might be worth a try to see if the reducer will work.

john

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2007
  5. shicks5319

shicks5319 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That was it!! I went back over my steps and realized that I had inadvertently mixed up a label on the fixer as was using an old mix. I tried re-fixing a couple of rolls and the the negs became clear.

I can't say how much this was helpful. I would have chased that problem for a while. This is the greatest forum.

Thanks guys