green stain lines on the edges of the roll

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by uniqua97, Jan 1, 2010.

1. uniqua97

uniqua97 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I developed 2 rolls in 2 back to back sessions.

first roll was OK, but the second roll come out with grain stians close to edges of the roll.

I use unicolor 3 step system (developer, blix and stabilizer)

I think I forgot to clean something, probably the reel, and stabilizer developer reaction created this.

Am I right or I am doing wrong something else.

Thanks,

2. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That sounds likely. A formaldehyde based stabilizer renders the dye couplers inactive, which would lead to areas of strange things happening.

3. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Do you happen to have a 2-roll tank? Or were these 120/220 rolls?

I have found that by using stainless reels and tanks rather than plastic ones, I have less contamination. I have used the same tanks for b/w and color(c-41) at school, just giving them a good scrub with HOT water after to make sure they're totally clean of residual chemistry, especially stabilizer/photo flo.

-Dan

4. uniqua97

uniqua97 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies. I guess, that is lack of proper cleaning.
    I will brush the plastic reel and clean it more voigorously.

I use plastic reel. The set up I bought does not have stainless reels, and I do not know whether it supports. I relativley new for JOBO setup.

Is there anything/any chemical that I can use while cleaning to neutralize the stabilizer?

5. hrst

hrst Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We have never, ever got any problems with stabilizer residues in reels. We have never brushed them, just normally rinsed with warm water immediately after processing. If you rinsed the reels, I would suspect other possibilities, too. If you didn't rinse them at all then it's a completely different story.......

6. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Merely rinsing them should have been sufficient.

7. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    uniqua,

I'm just a little weird in that regard, I like my stuff spick and span, if you get my drift :smile:.

I use a Jobo tank from time to time as well, stainless tanks usually though. If I shoot a roll of 220, my only option is using a Jobo reel, hence, why I have them.

a thorough rinsing should take care of it though, with warm water, right after your stabilizer step

-Dan