Green vs Gray

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by markbarendt, Nov 1, 2012.

1. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I picked up an Agfa multicoated circular polarizer and unlike some of the other polarizers I have, it looks green rather than grey.

Does it matter? How?

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've heard of a slight greenish cast on some ND filters and some center filters (essentially graduated ND filters), but had not heard of it on polarizers. The slight cast on ND filters is occasionally mentioned in the context of shooting colour films but is not pronounced enough to have any material effect on B&W films. This of course depends on how green it is. The very slight colour cast I'm talking about is barely noticable (if at all) to the eye, so your case might be a little different since it seems to be a fairly obvious green colour. Like any other colour, the more saturated it is the more of a filtering effect it will have on incoming light. So if it is really quite green, you'd have a non-neutral combination polarizer-green filter. Obviously the specific hue makes a difference in the wavelenghts it will absorb/pass.

3. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The green is noticeable but not over the top like a green filter.

Just looking through it gives the greens a bit of a bump, regardless of whether the polarization is "helping" or not.

I've got no fear that it will work well with B&W.

Guess I'll see on color.