Greetings from a mid-life noephyte in the middle lands of england..

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by mawhin, Apr 7, 2012.

1. mawhin

mawhin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello.

I'm Martin. I live and work in Birmingham, UK, and have done pretty much all my life. Picked up a nikon d40 some 5 years ago, for a song on amazon, and maybe 18 months ago started shooting film, at first with a Braun Paxina 29.

I've stopped buying cameras now, after a Rollei 35 and a Brownie 6-20 and a Nikon F3P and a Pentax ME and a Zenit 12XP and a yashica MAT.

Nowadays, although I've no intention of getting into debates about digital/analogue and one being better in some way than the other, I find myself wanting to shoot film, and print in the dark.

Currently I'm developing film with R09, and paper with a caffenol recipe. My hit rate is pretty low, but every now and again fortune coincides with intent and something comes out that pleases me.

I've hesitated for a good while about calling myself a photographer, but recently a close friend and then a total stranger have placed arguments in front of me that helped hugely. I'm a father, and I have the right to call myself that, even though I may not be the best father, and I don't do it professionally. And thus with photographer. :D

I've lurked around here a long while, and it's been well useful. Thanks guys. (I'm using 'guys' gender neutrally here :D )

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Martin, and a warm welcome to APUG.

Jeff

3. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Martin.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome.

Sounds like you have only just started!

Steve.

5. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome from just down the road :D

Ian

6. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're not a photographer... unless you are. I've been a photographer for 38 years even though I've taken no "real" photos in 28 years. Once a photographer... always a photographer. You are who you are and want to be... nothing more and nothing less. Who are you and who do you want to be? Know thyself.

7. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Martin - hello and welcome to APUG from western New England! :D

8. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Martin and welcome to APUG.

9. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Wow, where did find the old Braun Paxina 29? - That was my first ever camera bought second hand in Taunton in 1960 when I was even younger than I am now

I suggest you now get rid of any cameras you don't use at least once a month - I am trying to do that now, except for the Rollies for my next trip to UK

10. mawhin

mawhin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It came up on the auction site. And I try to use them all. It's only the brownie that doesn't get out really - I can't be arsed to deal with 620. And that's staying, because it's pretty.

11. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG