Greetings from Finland

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Erkki, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Erkki

Erkki Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello everyone!

I am Erkki from Finland, a 53 year old male. As an amateur I have used a mechanical Olympus OM3 for several years with 28 mm, 50 mm and 100 mm objectives. I just bought an almost unused Rolleiflex T model 1962. There is a Zeiss Ikon Tessar 1:3,5 f=75 mm objective in it.

In my equipped darkroom I have a Durst Laborator 1200, with Ilford B&W Multigrade and a new RH Design Analyser 500. I use objectives from Nikon and Rodenstock. Most often I use Bergger`s FB papers and also Ilford´s and Kodak´s RC.

Last year I printed 200 photos memory exhibition of my fathers’ shots taken during the 1950s. The photos described ordinary people´s life in the northern part of Finland just after the II World War. I followed the traditional b&w photography techniques as fully as possible.

Some of my father’s, Matti A. Asikainen photos can be seen at my homepage. At the end of the introduction there is a link to the techniques of how my father took the photos and developed his films. The technique of how I printed the photos for the exhibition is also explained there in detail. This is unfortunately only available in the Finnish language.

In the links there is e.g. an interesting article of Mr. Woodworth: Inside a Roll of Film, Exposure Chemistry, Developing Film: Black & White, Making the Prints: Black & White.

I still work on these historical photos trying to get other themes presented in new exhibitions.

I also bought JOBO CPE2 Prosessor to develop my own films. I found your web page while searching JOBO users´ experiences. It’s nice to follow the chatroom discussion and learn new things all the time.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome! I've been to Helsinki only briefly, but I've spent a few days in Tampere. It was summer, so I was out photographing with my 8x10" camera at 10 p.m.

3. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Erkki!
    I think it is very nice that you are working on your father's photographs. I think you will find a lot of information here to help you along!

4. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome, Erkki!

There's more of us Scandinavians every day!

5. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    hello Erkki

good to have you here. I've printed some of my great grandfather's glass plates - it is an extremely rewarding and, in many different ways, a thought provoking thing to do.

I would love to visit Finland one day.

cheers

6. TPPhotog

TPPhotog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Greetings Erkki, no one seems to have warned you that this place is addictive yet, so you are now warned :smile: I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time here and look forward to seeing your work.

7. Tom Stanworth

Tom Stanworth Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Pleased to meet you.......another person for whom photography is very 'personal' - GREAT!

Tom

8. Woolliscroft

Woolliscroft Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi from another OM user.

David.

9. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great to have you here. There a quite a few dedicated JOBO users here so feel free to post any questions you might have.