Greetings from Fogo Island, Newfoundland!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by camperbc, May 12, 2012.

1. camperbc

camperbc Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi everyone!

I've been here, lurking in the shadows for quite some time, but I figure it is high time to come out of hiding and become an active, contributing member of this fine forum.

I have had a passion for landscape/nature photography for close to 40 years. I have a large collection of vintage cameras, including rangefinders, SLR's, TLR's, various box/Brownies, etc; even a beautifully mint 1917 Autographic 1A folding museum piece which looks and functions just like the day it was made, over 95 years ago.

I have made eight more additions to my collection over the past couple of months, including two lovely old Soviet-made rangefinders; a FED 2 (D6) and Zorki-4. Also new (to me) is a Yashica Electro 35 GSN, Minolta Hi-Matic "F", Minolta Maxxum 7000i, Cosina CT-1 "Super", Canon AE-1, and a Canonet 28, all of which are in absolutely pristine condition.

I am looking forward to getting to know many of you personally.

Best regards,

Glen B.
    www.FocusOnNewfoundland.com

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  2. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DSLR's?? Get ready to be pounded here. Try photo.net and largeformatphotography.info (safe haven for small formats).

Some folks are far too passionate about "their" forums.

3. camperbc

camperbc Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi Old-N-Feeble, I seriously doubt that I am the only member of this forum who has used a digital camera before; I think you should be easily able to glean, from reading my introductory post, that I am quite passionate about analogue photography, and am thrilled to be back in the darkroom again after a lengthy absence.

Glen

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2012
  4. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Nothing like a warm welcome(not).

Nice to see someone from the Rock. BTW, very nice work.

5. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Glen! You've got a nice collection of cameras there. Would love to see some of your work in the galleries here.

I've never made it as far east as Newfoundland, but whenever I move back to Canada it will definitely be on my to-do list!

6. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glen - hello and welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts! :D

7. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello and a warm welcome to APUG!

Jeff

8. camperbc

camperbc Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Ah ha, some friendly fellow Canadians to the rescue! Hi CGW, yes, I was a wee bit dismayed after reading my very first ever APUG reply... Yikes, apparently I was not supposed to mention... ahem... the other popular format too, so I actually went back and removed the offending sentence. Then I felt silly that I had removed the dreaded "D" word, but there you have it. Oh well, a bit of a rocky start, but hopefully smoother roads ahead. And thank-you for your kind comment regarding my photography; much appreciated!

MooseOnTheLoose! Rachelle, from your ID I was certainly able to determine where your roots are! And yes, you will indeed be seeing my work in the galleries here. Although I have returned to film in a big way, I have a serious and unfortunately permanent spinal injury that keeps me bedridden about 80% of the time, so I don't have as many good days (health-wise) for playing in the darkroom as I would like to. And because I live in a rather remote part of the world, (small island in the North Atlantic, a one hour ferry ride off the northeast coast of Newfoundland) the only back-up to doing my own processing is to ship my films out to a decent photo lab in one of the larger urban centres... which can get quite costly, not to mention time consuming. But better late than never, so they say!

Rachelle, I can assure you that a trip to Newfoundland one day would be a positive experience for you. I have lived in Ontario, Manitoba and British Columbia, but the ruggedly beautiful scenery that surrounds me here on Fogo Island cannot be beat. Truly a photographer's dream.

And a big "Thank-you" also to Gene and Jeff for such a warm welcome to APUG. See, my slightly rocky start has already smoothed out quite nicely!

best regards,
    Glen

9. Old-N-Feeble

Old-N-Feeble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You're definitely not. My process will be "hybrid" for certain. My post had/has to do with the fact that many APUG members are RABIDLY analog. It seems that those folks are holding back their "opinions" now. What will become of APUG? Mmm... maybe more open minds? :smile:

10. Nick Merritt

Nick Merritt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great stuff. Newfoundland is a great place. I was there in 2001 and would go back in a minute.

Believe it or not, you're the second guy from Fogo whose pictures I've seen in the past couple of days!

11. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A friendly hello from cold, wet, grey Australia! Newfoundland featured on a mini-doco of Canada on TV down just a here a few days ago. It was about a solo traveller (Brit)— name forgotten, traversing Canada and the NW on motorbike, bus, boat...anything. Not particularly gripping as a presenter, but absolutely beautiful, inspiring scenery and lots of fascinating stuff about lobster fishing, too. :smile:

12. camperbc

camperbc Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Thanks Nick! Wow, who was the first? I thought I was the only photographer living on the island. A tourist?

Glen

13. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Glen - Welcome to the fun! Fogo looks like a beautiful place (per your gallery's photographs)! I look forward to seeing your work, best wishes for continued health.

This might interest you if you possibly are looking to get that DR into production in a manner to adapt to your needs, there was a thread here a few months back where Sean (Apug founder) was getting feedback for DR flow to aid a special need re his back, maybe this thread can inspire, if not, start another thread, you know Apug folks love to help:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/98561-seeking-advice-designing-darkroom-minimal-time-your-feet.html

14. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glen, Welcome to APUG.
    Well...there goes the neighborhood...another 'Goofy Newfie' joins the club. Please laugh!
    I have a lot of fond memories of 'New-fun-land.' Lived two years in Stephenville, (Harmon Field).
    You have a beautiful body of work on display, from a beautiful part of the world.
    Thanks for sharing, and again, welcome.

Marc

Last edited by a moderator: May 13, 2012
  15. andrew.roos

andrew.roos Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Glen

A very warm welcome to APUG from sunny South Africa. I look forward to seeing some of your work in the galleries. Your collection sounds wonderful, I'm a teeny bit envious. Yes, some of us also shoot digital (like you've I've recently returned to the darkroom after an absence of 30 years), we just don't discuss digital or hybrid techniques, processes or equipment on APUG.

Cheers,
    Andrew

16. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG!

Always nice to see new people from other parts of the world. :smile: I hope you'll find the place welcoming and informative. I can assure you, this is the place to get advice, opinions and facts. I've always thought of dogs and rain and green landscape when someone mentions Newfoundland.

17. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glen,

Welcome to APUG. I looked at your landscape and black & white galleries and enjoyed the images. Nice work!

Best regards,

Bob

18. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Glen.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Glen, from the other end of the country.

And those who also use digital here are more than welcome - we just prefer to talk (type?) about other things.

20. HowardDvorin

HowardDvorin Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG from southern New Jersey,USA

21. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG Glen!

22. camperbc

camperbc Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Many thanks to those of you who have warmly welcomed me to APUG with open arms, and for your many kind comments regarding my photography. And thanks also to Andy for providing the link to another thread about darkroom set-up for us with mobility issues; much appreciated. What an excellent online community this is! I look forward to building many lasting friendships with all of you who share my passion for film photography.

regards,
    Glen