Greetings from New Mexico

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by AllenR, Jan 15, 2005.

1. AllenR

AllenR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello all.

My name is Allen. I’ve been lurking for a few months and thought that it was about time to surface. Hats off to everyone for making this such a great resource!

I primarily make use of LF and B&W. I would like to start making pt/pd prints again, and APUG seems to be an excellent place to get back up to speed. Lots of knowledgeable and helpful folks.

I am new to the Albuquerque area, so if there are any APUGers here, give me a shout.

Allen

2. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi, Allen. Welcome.

3. Mongo

Mongo Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Allen, from one who lives in Pennsylvania but loves New Mexico. (I attended NMSU back in the late '70s, and got to spend lots of weekends in the Albuquerque, Española, and Santa Fe areas.) If only I'd been into LF back then!

APUG's a great place to learn...I've learned more here than all of the other photo sites combined.

4. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from Albuquerque

Greetings from Albuquerque, Allen! Where did you move here from?

5. AllenR

AllenR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Jacob,

I came to the Albuquerque area from South Texas, Corpus Christi to be exact. The landscape here is much more to my liking.

When you get some time, we need to discuss the local photographic community.

Allen

6. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Welcome Allen from Hawaii. I've been to Albuquerque a few times, I found it to be a nice area. I'm sure you will enjoy this forum.

7. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome Allen. I am in Santa Fe and can honestly say the photo "scene" is much more active up here then in ABQ. I lived down there for about 3 years and I am happier up here. At least somewhat happier.

Anyway, welcome to the group.

8. erickson

erickson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with David. Santa Fe has a very active art community. There isn't that much going on in Albuquerque, though. We do have the Enchanted Lens Camera Club (http://www.swcp.com/camera). One of the people I've talked to from the group says that many of the members are going digital. Also, you might stop into Camera & Darkroom or Kurt's (both are pro shops on Central Ave, close to UNM). If you're looking to do any business in the artistic photo scene, take the short drive to Santa Fe.

9. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I went to one of the club meetings once. I was much too young for the group.

As for the camera shops, I use them for emergency purchases only. They both charge retail and often do not have what I am looking for. Also, the last straw was when I asked for Tri-X and the salesperson asked what Tri-X was.

Now, I just order from Calumet, Freestyle or Adorama.

10. mark

mark Member

Camera and darkroom was much better when they were in their old digs. The new place and the new workers are not nearly as friendly. I have no idea what the guy's name is but the gent with one arm is way knowledgeable and lots of help. I talk to him and no one else when i get to camera and darkroom. He definately knows what Tri-X is. I never liked Kurt's. Too Snobby.

Welcome from 3.5 hours west.

11. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome! I love New Mexico, have spent a lot of time there plan to spend much more! In fact we will be there for the alternative process show in June.
    Enjoy the site.

12. AllenR

AllenR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glad to hear from my fellow New Mexicans

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am disappointed to hear that there isn't much of an artisitic photo community in the Albuquerque area. Maybe we just need to create one.

I pretty much agree with you on the camera stores. I've been to both Camera & Darkroom and Kurt's. They will do in a pinch, but supplies are a lot less expensive other places, even with shipping.

Thanks to everyone for their hello's.

Allen

13. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    AllenR,

Small correction APIS is July 7th to the 9th PhotoArts Santa Fe July 8 to 17.
    A lot going on all over Santa Fe. About 150 show up for APIS run by Bostick and Sullivan. A great cross section of alt process materials to look at.

Jan Pietrzak

14. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Allen!
    Well, I've never been to New Mexico, but I know where it is and would not mind seeing it one day! :D
    This is a great place to find answers, people and even a joke or two (see the joke thread). Look forward to seeing your work in the gallery!!

15. AllenR

AllenR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Jan,

Thanks for the update on APIS. I've known about APIS for a while, but I've never lived close enough to make attending a realistic option. No excuses now! I'll keep an eye on the B&S website for the details.

Allen

16. Jan Pietrzak

Jan Pietrzak Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    AllenR,

As part of the staff of APIS (have been since 1999) I will be looking forward to seeing you and any of the other APUGers' in Santa Fe for 2005. My wife Gale and I have been helping Melody and Richard make this all happen. Move that table, loose that chair, post that sign, that person did not fill out the form, you name it we do it. We look forward to it every 2 years. And it is a fun weekend. Lots of prints and lots of good friends to vist with. Good food and lots to drink.

Again I look forward to meeting you and all the rest of you that are comming.

Follow the information at Bostick and Sullivan 'SEE YOU ALL IN SANTA FE'

Jan Pietrzak

17. AllenR

AllenR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Jeanette,

New Mexico is a great place, it has a little bit of everything, just like APUG!

I have some work out on the web if you are interested. The link is in my profile.

Allen

18. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I moved to Santa Fe just after the 2003 APIS. Now I live very close to the plaza and will be able to walk to most of the events. This is going to be a great summer. If anyone needs anything in Santa Fe, just let me know.