Greetings from Puget Sound

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by Robland, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Robland

Robland Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've just subscribed to APUG, so now I feel I should introduce myself. Like many the kids are off to college, career has gone well (could be better) and I now have the time and money to pursue my interests in Photography. A few years ago I purchased a Nikon DSLR, and a Shen-Hao 4x5 field camera. I've been taking many pictures without a lot of "printing".

I am building a Darkroom with 20x24 print making ability, large sink, with all the comforts including heat, AC, good lighting, temperature control for processing, B/W at first then work with some color.

I had been printing at a co-op/club darkroom of a very large airplane company in my area. This was a good deal, lots of space, good equipment, but at 60 miles from my home, not too convenient.

The large room I am building will not only house a Darkroom, but a space for digital printing, PC, dry mount press and post process (spotting etc)...and of course the exercise machine that I promise the wife I would finally start using.

Topics I intend to discuss (at later dates)
    1. Why no Puget Sound or Seattle Area user group, or even Washington?
    2. I have used Google and Yahoo "groups" in the past. I would also like to see a users groups for Wing-Lynch, JOBO processors. Or is this what “search” is for?
    3. A group for sharing "curves" with the Sekonic programmable light meters (I have the L-785DR).

All for now, also searching for a catchy sign off...how about. "Belly up to the sink and get printing"

2. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome. I was just in your area last week. Nice place.

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, where in the Sound are you?

Curt

4. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmmm, a very large airplane company in the Puget Sound area, I wonder who that could be?
    Robland, welcome to APUG. A few years back I almost moved to the Kitsap County area, along with the rest of the California migration, but decided to hang out down here, maybe it was the banana slugs.
    Anyway, will you have a Wing-Lynch in your darkroom?

Terry

5. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, from the other side of the country. I visit my son near Puget Sound whenever I can. Nice part of the world.

6. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robland - welcome to APUG from western Massachusetts.

gene

7. msage

msage Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Greetings from the middle of Puget Sound (Vashon Island).
    Michael

8. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome aboard!

Your post just had me googling Puget Sound (which I had heard of, but had no idea where it was)... I didn't realise Seattle is so beautifully situated :smile:

Have fun, Bob.

9. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, from just up the road, near Vancouver, BC.

Matt

11. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome to the forum. Tell your wife the only exercise machine you need is a 5 x 4 enlarger.

12. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Banana Slugs

I don't think they've been listed yet, but they appear to be an endangered species. However, I saw two of them the day before yesterday at Deception Pass. Have to wonder, if they really are endangered, will they ever be listed as such? Hardly one of those designer glamor animals, like llamas and alpacas, which are common around here.

I'm new here too. I live in Anacortes, on Fidalgo, the only island in the San Juans you can drive to, about midway between Seattle and Vancouver.

Larry Bullis

13. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robland,

Welcome from North Seattle.

Bob

14. DarkroomDan

DarkroomDan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ditto from Enumclaw

Dan

15. vet173

vet173 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome from Renton.

16. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the group, Rob.

17. Rob Vinnedge

Rob Vinnedge Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello, Rob. Welcome from downtown Ballard.

And, Larry Bullis! Great to see your name again!

Rob Vinnedge

18. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Holy Moly! I'll send a message!

19. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's nicer up here. I'm not near Vancouver but in it. Hi again Matt.

20. Robland

Robland Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the encouragement and kind words. My goal is to spend time each day building the Darkroom, including the sink and storage. I'd like to have it finished in 6 months.

Curt: we are in Snohomish County, near Arlington.

Terry (Iwagoshi): The Wing-Lynch Model 4 will go into the new DR. I just wanted the Temp Control unit. I hope it holds temp and time as designed and promised. I grew up in the SF Bay Area, and visit my family as often as work permits. We love visiting Calistoga in the wine country.

21. bowzart

bowzart Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Are you looking for a user's group for the Wing Lynch stuff as you suggested in your original post?

Do you happen to have the control unit? I've installed five of those in various college darkrooms. Those things are great. I have a brand new one in the box (got very lucky). All I need now is the darkroom to put it in (not room for it in my truck camper!). Those are no longer made, unfortunately, and I'm concerned about finding parts should they be needed, although I suppose most of the parts ought to be fairly standard. Do you know? The maintenance folks at the college told me that they had some trouble finding parts the last time they serviced a unit.

Ray Wing was part of the group in Portland OR that formed around Minor White in the 1930's and that continued corresponding with him until he died in 1976. I happened to call the factory service dept once in the late 1990's and in the conversation, asked about Ray. They said he was still coming in occasionally. I don't think the company is still up and running now and can't imagine that Ray would still be active.

22. Iwagoshi

Iwagoshi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wing-Lynch: I picked up a junker, broken plexi-tank, burned out heating elements, and needs good cleaning. But it came with all the accessories, even a fixer bypass. One of these days I hope to get the tanks nitrogen-tight and the beast up and running. But right now my production rate does not justify it's use, plus in Ca. we're in a drought condition, the constant flow-though is problematic.

Terry